42 CFR 414.202 - Definitions.
For purposes of this subpart, the following definitions apply:
Complex rehabilitative power-driven wheelchair means a power-driven wheelchair that is classified as -
(1)Group 2 power wheelchair with power options that can accommodate rehabilitative features (for example, tilt in space); or
(2)Group 3 power wheelchair.
Covered item update means the percentage increase in the consumer price index for all urban consumers (U.S. city average) (CPI-U) for the 12-month period ending with June of the previous year.
Durable medical equipment means equipment, furnished by a supplier or a home health agency that meets the following conditions:
(1) Can withstand repeated use.
(2) Effective with respect to items classified as DME after January 1, 2012, has an expected life of at least 3 years.
(3) Is primarily and customarily used to serve a medical purpose.
(4) Generally is not useful to an individual in the absence of an illness or injury.
(5) Is appropriate for use in the home.
Prosthetic and orthotic devices means -
(1) Devices that replace all or part of an internal body organ, including ostomy bags and supplies directly related to ostomy care, and replacement of such devices and supplies;
(2) One pair of conventional eyeglasses or contact lenses furnished subsequent to each cataract surgery with insertion of an intraocular lens; and
(3) Leg, arm, back, and neck braces, and artificial legs, arms, and eyes, including replacements if required because of a change in the beneficiary's physical condition.
(1) Parenteral and enteral nutrients, supplies, and equipment;
(2) Intraocular lenses;
(3) Medical supplies such as catheters, catheter supplies, ostomy bags, and supplies related to ostomy care that are furnished by an HHA as part of home health services under § 409.40(e) of this chapter;
(4) Dental prostheses.
Region means, for the purpose of implementing § 414.210(g), geographic areas defined by the Bureau of Economic Analysis in the United StatesDepartment of Commerce for economic analysis purposes, and, for the purpose of implementing § 414.228, those contractor service areas administered by CMS regional offices.
Rural area means, for the purpose of implementing § 414.210(g), a geographic area represented by a postal zip code if at least 50 percent of the total geographic area of the area included in the zip code is estimated to be outside any metropolitan area (MSA). A rural area also includes a geographic area represented by a postal zip code that is a low population density area excluded from a competitive bidding area in accordance with the authority provided by section 1847(a)(3)(A) of the Act at the time the rules at § 414.210(g) are applied.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 414 after this date.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 42.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.