42 CFR § 416.166 - Covered surgical procedures.
(a)Covered surgical procedures. Effective for services furnished on or after January 1, 2008, covered surgical procedures are those procedures that meet the general standards described in paragraph (b) of this section (whether commonly furnished in an ASC or a physician's office) and are not excluded under paragraph (c) of this section.
(b)General standards. Subject to the exclusions in paragraph (c) of this section, covered surgical procedures are surgical procedures specified by the Secretary and published in the Federal Register and/or via the Internet on the CMS Web site that are separately paid under the OPPS, that would not be expected to pose a significant safety risk to a Medicarebeneficiary when performed in an ASC, and for which standard medical practice dictates that the beneficiary would not typically be expected to require active medical monitoring and care at midnight following the procedure.
(1) Generally result in extensive blood loss;
(2) Require major or prolonged invasion of body cavities;
(3) Directly involve major blood vessels;
(4) Are generally emergent or life-threatening in nature;
(5) Commonly require systemic thrombolytic therapy;
(7) Can only be reported using a CPT unlisted surgical procedure code; or
(8) Are otherwise excluded under § 411.15 of this subchapter.