42 CFR 417.414 - Qualifying condition: Range of services.
(a) Condition. The HMO or CMP must demonstrate that it is capable of delivering to Medicare enrollees the range of services required in accordance with this section.
(b) Standard: Range of services furnished by eligible HMOs or CMPs -
(1) Basic requirement. Except as specified in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, an HMO or CMP must furnish to its Medicare enrollees (directly or through arrangements with others) all the Medicare services to which those enrollees are entitled to the extent that they are available to Medicare beneficiaries who reside in the HMO's or CMP's geographic area but are not enrolled in the HMO or CMP.
(2) Criteria for availability. The services are considered available if -
(i) The sources are located within the HMO's or CMP's geographic area; or
(ii) It is common practice to refer patients to sources outside that geographic area.
(3) Exception for hospice care. An HMO or CMP is not required to furnish hospice care as described in part 418 of this chapter. However, HMOs or CMPs must inform their Medicare enrollees about the availability of hospice care if -
(i) A hospice participating in Medicare is located within the HMO's or CMP's geographic area; or
(ii) It is common practice to refer patients to hospices outside the geographic area.
(c) Standard: Financial responsibility for services furnished outside the HMO or CMP.
(1) An HMO or CMP must assume financial responsibility and provide reasonable reimbursement for emergency services and urgently needed services (as defined in § 417.401) that are obtained by its Medicare enrollees from providers and suppliers outside the HMO or CMP even in the absence of the HMO's or CMP's prior approval.
(2) An HMO or CMP must assume financial responsibility for services that the Medicare enrollee attempted to obtain from the HMO or CMP, but that the HMO or CMP failed to furnish or unreasonably denied, and that are found, upon appeal by the enrollee under subpart Q of this part, to be services that the enrollee was entitled to have furnished to him or her by the HMO or CMP.