42 CFR 422.500 - Scope and definitions.
(a)Scope. This subpart sets forth application requirements for entities seeking a contract as a Medicare organization offering an MA plan, including MA organizations offering a specialized MA plan for special needs individuals. MA organizations offering prescription drug plans must, in addition to the requirements of this part, follow the requirements of part 423 of this chapter specifically related to the prescription drug benefit.
(b)Definitions. For purposes of this subpart, the following definitions apply:
Business transaction means any of the following kinds of transactions:
(1) Sale, exchange, or lease of property.
(2) Loan of money or extension of credit.
(3) Goods, services, or facilities furnished for a monetary consideration, including management services, but not including -
(i) Salaries paid to employees for services performed in the normal course of their employment; or
(ii) Health services furnished to the MA organization's enrollees by hospitals and other providers, and by MA organization staff, medical groups, or independent practice associations, or by any combination of those entities.
Clean claim means -
(1) A claim that has no defect, impropriety, lack of any required substantiating documentation (consistent with § 422.310(d)) or particular circumstance requiring special treatment that prevents timely payment; and
Downstream entity means any party that enters into an acceptable written arrangement below the level of the arrangement between an MA organization (or contract applicant) and a first tier entity. These written arrangements continue down to the level of the ultimate provider of both health and administrative services.
First tier entity means any party that enters into an acceptable written arrangement with an MA organization or contract applicant to provide administrative services or health care services for a Medicare eligible individual.
Party in interest includes the following:
(1) Any director, officer, partner, or employee responsible for management or administration of an MA organization.
(2) Any person who is directly or indirectly the beneficial owner of more than 5 percent of the organization's equity; or the beneficial owner of a mortgage, deed of trust, note, or other interest secured by and valuing more than 5 percent of the organization.
(3) In the case of an MA organization organized as a nonprofit corporation, an incorporator or member of such corporation under applicable State corporation law.
(4) Any entity in which a person described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of this definition:
(i) Is an officer, director, or partner; or
(ii) Has the kind of interest described in paragraphs (1), (2), or (3) of this definition.
(5) Any person that directly or indirectly controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with, the MA organization.
(6) Any spouse, child, or parent of an individual described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of this definition.
Related entity means any entity that is related to the MA organization by common ownership or control and -
(1) Performs some of the MA organization's management functions under contract or delegation;
(2) Furnishes services to Medicare enrollees under an oral or written agreement; or
(3) Leases real property or sells materials to the MA organization at a cost of more than $2,500 during a contract period.
Significant business transaction means any business transaction or series of transactions of the kind specified in the above definition of “business transaction” that, during any fiscal year of the MA organization, have a total value that exceeds $25,000 or 5 percent of the MA organization's total operating expenses, whichever is less.
Title 42 published on 09-Jan-2018 06:55
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 422 after this date.