42 CFR 422.501 - Application requirements.
(a) Scope. This section sets forth application requirements for entities that seek a contract as an MA organization offering an MA plan and additional application requirements for MA organizations seeking to offer a Specialized MA Plan for Special Needs Individuals.
(b) Completion of a notice of intent to apply.
(1) An organization submitting an application under this section for a particular contract year must first submit a completed Notice of Intent to Apply by the date established by CMS. CMS will not accept applications from organizations that do not first submit a timely Notice of Intent to Apply.
(2) Submitting a Notice of Intent to Apply does not bind that organization to submit an application for the applicable contract year.
(3) An organization's decision not to submit an application after submitting a Notice of Intent To Apply will not form the basis of any action taken against the organization by CMS.
(c) Completion of an application.
(1) In order to obtain a determination on whether it meets the requirements to become an MA organization and is qualified to provide a particular type of MA plan, an entity, or an individual authorized to act for the entity (the applicant) must fully complete all parts of a certified application, in the form and manner required by CMS, including the following:
(i) Documentation of appropriate State licensure or State certification that the entity is able to offer health insurance or health benefits coverage that meets State-specified standards applicable to MA plans, and is authorized by the State to accept prepaid capitation for providing, arranging, or paying for the comprehensive health care services to be offered under the MA contract.
(ii) For regional plans, documentation of application for State licensure in any State in the region that the organization is not already licensed.
(iii) For Specialized MA Plans for Special Needs Individuals, documentation that the entity meets the requirements of §§ 422.2; 422.4(a)(1)(iv); 422.101(f); 422.107, if applicable; and 422.152(g) of this part.
(2) The authorized individual must thoroughly describe how the entity and MA plan meet, or will meet, all the requirements described in this part.
(d) Responsibility for making determinations.
(1) CMS is responsible for determining whether an entity qualifies as an MA organization and whether proposed MA plans meet the requirements of this part.
(2) A CMS determination that an entity is qualified to act as an MA organization is distinct from the bid negotiation that occurs under subpart F of this part and such negotiation is not subject to the appeals provisions included in subpart N of this part.
(e) Resubmittal of an application. An application that has been denied by CMS for a particular contract year may not be resubmitted until the beginning of the application cycle for the following contract year.
(f) Disclosure of application information under the Freedom of Information Act. An applicant submitting material that he or she believes is protected from disclosure under 5 U.S.C. 552, the Freedom of Information Act, or because of exemptions provided in 45 CFR part 5 (the Department's regulations providing exceptions to disclosure), must label the material “privileged” and include an explanation of the applicability of an exception described in 45 CFR part 5. Any final decisions as to whether material is privileged is the final decision of the Secretary.
Title 42 published on 2014-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 422 after this date.