42 CFR 422.550 - General provisions.
(a)What constitutes change of ownership -
(1)Partnership. The removal, addition, or substitution of a partner, unless the partners expressly agree otherwise as permitted by applicable State law, constitutes a change of ownership.
(2)Asset transfer.Transfer of title and property to another party constitutes change of ownership.
(i) The merger of the MA organization's corporation into another corporation or the consolidation of the MA organization with one or more other corporations, resulting in a new corporate body, constitutes a change of ownership.
(b)Advance notice requirement.
(1) An MA organization that has a Medicare contract in effect and is considering or negotiating a change in ownership must notify CMS at least 60 days before the anticipated effective date of the change. The MA organization must also provide updated financial information and a discussion of the financial and solvency impact of the change of ownership on the surviving organization.
(2) If the MA organization fails to give CMS the required notice timely, it continues to be liable for capitation payments that CMS makes to it on behalf of Medicare enrollees after the date of change of ownership.
(1) That is embodied in a document executed and signed by all three parties;
(2) That meets the requirements of § 422.552; and
(d)Effect of change of ownership without novation agreement. Except to the extent provided in paragraph (b)(2) of this section, the effect of a change of ownership without a novation agreement is that -
(1) The existing contract becomes invalid; and
(e)Effect of change of ownership with novation agreement. If the MA organization submits a novation agreement that meets the requirements of § 422.552, and CMS signs it, the new owner becomes the successor in interest to the current owner's Medicare contract.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 422 after this date.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28.
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 42.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.