42 CFR § 435.811 - Medically needy income standard: General requirements.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (d)(2) of this section, to determine eligibility of medically needy individuals, a Medicaid agency must use a single income standard under this subpart that meets the requirements of this section.
(b) The income standard must take into account the number of persons in the assistance unit. Subject to the limitations specified in paragraph (e) of this section. The standard may not diminish by an increase in the number of persons in the assistance unit. For example, if the income level in the standard for an assistance unit of two is set at $400, the income level in the standard for an assistance unit of three may not be less than $400.
(c) In States that do not use more restrictive requirements than SSI, the income standard must be set at an amount that is no lower than the lowest income standards used under the cash assistance programs that are related to the State's covered medically needy eligibility group or groups of individuals under § 435.301. The amount of the income standard is subject to the limitations specified in paragraph (e) of this section.
(d) In States that use more restrictive requirements for aged, blind, and disabled individuals than SSI:
(1) For all individuals except aged, blind, and disabled individuals, the income standard must be set in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section; and
(2) For all aged, blind, and disabled individuals or any combination of these groups of individuals, the agency may establish a separate single medically needy income standard that is more restrictive than the single income standard set under paragraph (c) of this section. However, the amount of the more restrictive separate standard for aged, blind, or disabled individuals must be no lower than the higher of the lowest categorically needy income standard currently applied under the State's more restrictive criteria under § 435.121 or the medically needy income standard in effect under the State's Medicaid plan on January 1, 1972. The amount of the income standard is subject to the limitations specified in paragraph (e) of this section.
(e) The income standards specified in paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section must not exceed the maximum dollar amount of income allowed for purposes of FFP under § 435.1007.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
- Utah Admin. Code R414-304-3 - R414-304-3 - Aged, Blind and Disabled Non-Institutional and Institutional Medicaid Unearned Income Provisions.
- Utah Admin. Code R414-304-6 - R414-304-6 - Unearned Income Provisions for Medically Needy Family, Child and Pregnant Woman Non-Institutional and Institutional Medicaid.
- Utah Admin. Code R414-304-7 - R414-304-7 - Aged, Blind and Disabled Non-Institutional and Institutional Medicaid Earned Income Provisions.