42 CFR § 438.320 - Definitions.
As used in this subpart -
Access, as it pertains to external quality review, means the timely use of services to achieve optimal outcomes, as evidenced by managed care plans successfully demonstrating and reporting on outcome information for the availability and timeliness elements defined under § 438.68 (Network adequacy standards) and § 438.206 (Availability of services).
EQR stands for external quality review.
EQRO stands for external quality review organization.
External quality review means the analysis and evaluation by an EQRO, of aggregated information on quality, timeliness, and access to the health care services that an MCO, PIHP, PAHP, or PCCM entity (described in § 438.310(c)(2)), or their contractors furnish to Medicaid beneficiaries.
External quality review organization means an organization that meets the competence and independence requirements set forth in § 438.354, and performs external quality review, other EQR-related activities as set forth in § 438.358, or both.
Financial relationship means -
(1) A direct or indirect ownership or investment interest (including an option or nonvested interest) in any entity. This direct or indirect interest may be in the form of equity, debt, or other means, and includes any indirect ownership or investment interest no matter how many levels removed from a direct interest; or
(2) A compensation arrangement with an entity.
Health care services means all Medicaid services provided by an MCO, PIHP, or PAHP under contract with the State Medicaid agency in any setting, including but not limited to medical care, behavioral health care, and long-term services and supports.
Outcomes means changes in patient health, functional status, satisfaction or goal achievement that result from health care or supportive services.
Quality, as it pertains to external quality review, means the degree to which an MCO, PIHP, PAHP, or PCCM entity (described in § 438.310(c)(2)) increases the likelihood of desired outcomes of its enrollees through:
(1) Its structural and operational characteristics.
(2) The provision of services that are consistent with current professional, evidenced-based-knowledge.
(3) Interventions for performance improvement.
Validation means the review of information, data, and procedures to determine the extent to which they are accurate, reliable, free from bias, and in accord with standards for data collection and analysis.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.