42 CFR § 438.404 - Timely and adequate notice of adverse benefit determination.
(b) Content of notice. The notice must explain the following:
(2) The reasons for the adverse benefit determination, including the right of the enrollee to be provided upon request and free of charge, reasonable access to and copies of all documents, records, and other information relevant to the enrollee's adverse benefit determination. Such information includes medical necessity criteria, and any processes, strategies, or evidentiary standards used in setting coverage limits.
(3) The enrollee's right to request an appeal of the MCO's, PIHP's, or PAHP's adverse benefit determination, including information on exhausting the MCO's, PIHP's, or PAHP's one level of appeal described at § 438.402(b) and the right to request a State fair hearing consistent with § 438.402(c).
(4) The procedures for exercising the rights specified in this paragraph (b).
(5) The circumstances under which an appeal process can be expedited and how to request it.
(6) The enrollee's right to have benefits continue pending resolution of the appeal, how to request that benefits be continued, and the circumstances, consistent with state policy, under which the enrollee may be required to pay the costs of these services.
(3) For standard service authorization decisions that deny or limit services, within the timeframe specified in § 438.210(d)(1).
(ii) Issue and carry out its determination as expeditiously as the enrollee's health condition requires and no later than the date the extension expires.
(5) For service authorization decisions not reached within the timeframes specified in § 438.210(d) (which constitutes a denial and is thus an adverse benefit determination), on the date that the timeframes expire.
(6) For expedited service authorization decisions, within the timeframes specified in § 438.210(d)(2).