§ 440.185Respiratory care for ventilator-dependent individuals.
(a) “Respiratory care for ventilator-dependent individuals” means services that are not otherwise available under the State's Medicaid plan, provided on a part-time basis in the beneficiary's home by a respiratory therapist or other health care professional trained in respiratory therapy (as determined by the State) to an individual who—
(1) Is medically dependent on a ventilator for life support at least 6 hours per day;
(2) Has been so dependent for at least 30 consecutive days (or the maximum number of days authorized under the State plan, whichever is less) as an inpatient in one or more hospitals, NFs, or ICFs/IID;
(3) Except for the availability of respiratory care services, would require respiratory care as an inpatient in a hospital, NF, or ICF/IID and would be eligible to have payment made for inpatient care under the State plan;
(4) Has adequate social support services to be cared for at home;
(5) Wishes to be cared for at home; and
(6) Receives services under the direction of a physician who is familiar with the technical and medical components of home ventilator support, and who has medically determined that in-home care is safe and feasible for the individual.
(b) For purposes of paragraphs (a)(4) and (5) of this section, a beneficiary's home does not include a hospital, NF, ICF/IID or other institution as defined in § 435.1010 of this chapter.
[59 FR 37717, July 25, 1994, as amended at 71 FR 39229, July 12, 2006]
Title 42 published on 2014-10-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 42 CFR Part 440.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.