Basic conditions. In order to receive a State allotment for a fiscal year, a State must have a State
child health plan submitted in accordance with section 2106 of the Act, and
(1) For fiscal years 1998 and 1999, the State
child health plan must be approved before October 1, 1999;
(2) For fiscal years after 1999, the State
child health plan must be approved by the end of the fiscal year;
(3) An allotment for a fiscal year is not available to a State prior to the beginning of the fiscal year; and
(4) Federal payments out of an allotment are based on State expenditures which are allowable under the approved State
child health plan.
(b) Federal payments for Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) expenditures under an approved State
child health plan are -
(1) Limited to the amount of available funds remaining in State allotments calculated in accordance with the allotment process and formula specified in §§ 457.608 and 457.610, and payment process in §§ 457.614 and 457.616.
(2) Available based on a percentage of State
CHIP expenditures, at a rate equal to the enhanced Federal medical assistance percentage (FMAP) for each fiscal year, calculated in accordance with § 457.622.
(3) Available through the grants process specified in § 457.630.