§ 493.1828 Suspension of all Medicare payments.
(1) CMS may suspend payment for all Medicare-approved laboratory services when the laboratory has condition level deficiencies.
(2) CMS suspends payment for all Medicare covered laboratory services when the following conditions are met:
(i) Either -
(A) The laboratory has not corrected its condition level deficiencies included in the plan of correction within 3 months from the last date of inspection; or
(B) The laboratory has been found to have the same condition level deficiencies during three consecutive inspections; and
(ii) The laboratory has chosen (in return for not having its Medicare approval immediately cancelled), to not charge Medicare beneficiaries or their private insurance carriers for services for which Medicare payment is suspended.
(3) CMS suspends payment for services furnished on and after the effective date of sanction.
(b) Procedures. Before imposing this sanction, CMS provides notice of sanction and opportunity to respond in accordance with § 493.1810.
(c) Duration and effect of sanction.
(1) Suspension of payment continues until all condition level deficiencies are corrected, but never beyond twelve months.
(2) If all the deficiencies are not corrected by the end of the 12 month period, CMS cancels the laboratory's approval to receive Medicare payment for its services.