42 CFR 57.312 - Repayment of loans for service in a shortage area.
(a)Service in a shortage area. Subject to the availability of funds, a person who:
(1) Has obtained a degree as specified in section 846(a)(1) of the Act;
(2) Has obtained one or more nursing student loans or any other loans necessary for costs (including tuition, books, fees, equipment, living and other expenses which the Secretary determines were necessary) of attending a school of nursing; and
(3) Enters into an agreement with the Secretary to serve as a full-time registered nurse for a period of not less than 2 years in an Indian Health Service health center, a Native Hawaiian health center, a public hospital, a migrant health center, a community health center, a nursing facility, a rural health clinic, or in a health facility determined by the Secretary to have a critical shortage of nurses, will have a portion of these loans repaid by the Secretary in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section. Prior to entering an agreement for repayment of loans, other than nursing student loans, the Secretary will require that satisfactory evidence be provided of the existence and reasonableness of the education loans (i.e., a copy of the written loan agreement establishing the loan).
(1) Applicants with the greatest financial need; and
(2) Applicants that, with respect to health facilities described in paragraph (a)(3) of this section, agree to serve in such facilities located in geographic areas with a shortage of and need for nurses, as determined by the Secretary.
(3) In addition to the priorities under paragraphs (b) (1) and (2) of this section, should specific needs warrant, the Secretary may establish additional preferences which will be announced from time to time in the Federal Register.
(1) Upon completion by the borrower of the first year of service as specified in the agreement, the Secretary will pay 30 percent of the principal of, and the interest on, each loan which was unpaid as of the date the borrower began his or her service;
(2) Upon completion by the borrower of the second year of service, the Secretary will pay another 30 percent of the principal of, and the interest on, each loan which was unpaid as of the date the borrower began his or her service;
(3) Upon completion by the borrower of a third year of service, the Secretary will pay another 25 percent of the principal of, and the interest on, each loan which was unpaid as of the date the borrower began his or her service; and
(4) No more than 85 percent of the principal of any loan will be paid under this section.
Title 42 published on 2015-11-28
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 42 CFR Part 57 after this date.