43 CFR 3203.5 - What is the general process for obtaining a geothermal lease?
(a) The competitive geothermal leasing process consists of the following steps:
(i) Entities interested in geothermal development nominate lands by submitting to BLM descriptions of lands they seek to be included in a lease sale; or
(ii) BLM may include land in a competitive lease sale on its own initiative.
(2) BLM provides notice of the parcels to be offered, and the time, location, and process for participating in the lease sale.
(3) BLM holds the lease sale and offers leases to the successful bidder.
(b) BLM will issue geothermal leases to the highest responsible qualified bidder after a competitive leasing process, except for situations where noncompetitive leasing is allowed under subparts 3204 and 3205, which include:
(1) Lease applications pending on August 8, 2005;
(2) Lands for which no bid was received in a competitive lease sale;
(3) Direct use lease applications for which no competitive interest exists; and
(4) Lands subject to mining claims.