45 CFR 155.410 - Initial and annual open enrollment periods.
(1) The Exchange must provide an initial open enrollment period and annual open enrollment periods consistent with this section, during which qualified individuals may enroll in a QHP and enrollees may change QHPs.
(2) The Exchange may only permit a qualified individual to enroll in a QHP or an enrollee to change QHPs during the initial open enrollment period specified in paragraph (b) of this section, the annual open enrollment period specified in paragraph (e) of this section, or a special enrollment period described in § 155.420 of this subpart for which the qualified individual has been determined eligible.
(b)Initial open enrollment period. The initial open enrollment period begins October 1, 2013 and extends through March 31, 2014.
(c)Effective coverage dates for initial open enrollment period -
(i) On or before December 23, 2013, the Exchange must ensure a coverage effective date of January 1, 2014.
(iii) Between the sixteenth and last day of the month for any month between January 2014 and March 31, 2014 or between the twenty-fourth and the thirty-first of the month of December 2013, the Exchange must ensure a coverage effective date of the first day of the second following month.
(iv) Notwithstanding the requirement of paragraph (c)(1)(i) of this section, an Exchange or SHOP operated by a State may require a January 1, 2014 effective date for plan selection dates later than December 23, 2013; a SHOP may also establish plan selection dates as early as December 15, 2013 for enrollment in SHOP QHPs for a January 1, 2014 coverage effective date.
(v) Notwithstanding the regular effective dates set forth in this section, an Exchange may allow issuers to provide for a coverage effective date of January 1, 2014 for plan selections received after December 23, 2013 and on or before January 31, 2014, if a QHP issuer is willing to accept such enrollments.
(2)Option for earlier effective dates. Subject to the Exchange demonstrating to HHS that all of its participating QHP issuers agree to effectuate coverage in a timeframe shorter than discussed in paragraphs (c)(1)(ii) and (iii) of this section, the Exchange may do one or both of the following for all applicable individuals:
(i) For a QHP selection received by the Exchange from a qualified individual in accordance with the dates specified in paragraph (c)(1)(ii) or (iii) of this section, the Exchange may provide a coverage effective date for a qualified individual earlier than specified in such paragraphs, provided that either -
(B) The qualified individual pays the entire premium for the first partial month of coverage as well as all cost sharing, thereby waiving the benefit of advance payments of the premium tax credit and cost-sharing reduction payments until the first of the next month.
(ii) For a QHP selection received by the Exchange from a qualified individual on a date set by the Exchange after the fifteenth of the month for any month between December 2013 and March 31, 2014, the Exchange may provide a coverage effective date of the first of the following month.
(d)Notice of annual open enrollment period. Starting in 2014, the Exchange must provide a written annual open enrollment notification to each enrollee no earlier than the first day of the month before the open enrollment period begins and no later than the first day of the open enrollment period.
(e)Annual open enrollment period.
(2) For the benefit years beginning on January 1, 2016 and January 1, 2017, the annual open enrollment period begins on November 1 of the calendar year preceding the benefit year, and extends through January 31 of the benefit year.
(3) For the benefit years beginning on or after January 1, 2018, the annual open enrollment period begins on November 1 and extends through December 15 of the calendar year preceding the benefit year.
(i) January 1, 2015, for QHP selections received by the Exchange on or before December 15, 2014.
(ii) February 1, 2015, for QHP selections received by the Exchange from December 16, 2014 through January 15, 2015.
(iii) March 1, 2015, for QHP selections received by the Exchange from January 16, 2015 through February 15, 2015.
(g)Automatic enrollment. The Exchange may automatically enroll qualified individuals, at such time and in such manner as HHS may specify, and subject to the Exchange demonstrating to HHS that it has good cause to perform such automatic enrollments.
Title 45 published on 12-Sep-2017 03:33
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 45 CFR Part 155 after this date.
- 45 CFR 147.104 — Guaranteed Availability of Coverage.
- 45 CFR 155.305 — Eligibility Standards.
- 45 CFR 155.1075 — Recertification of QHPs.
- 45 CFR 156.260 — Enrollment Periods for Qualified Individuals.
- 45 CFR 155.430 — Termination of Exchange Enrollment or Coverage.
- 45 CFR 155.400 — Enrollment of Qualified Individuals Into QHPs.
- 45 CFR 155.1010 — Certification Process for QHPs.
- 45 CFR 155.310 — Eligibility Process.