45 CFR 1609.3 - General requirements.
(1) The case has been rejected by the local lawyer referral service, or by two private attorneys; or
(2) Neither the referral service nor two private attorneys will consider the case without payment of a consultation fee.
(1) An eligible client is seeking benefits under Subchapter II of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. 401et seq., as amended, Federal Old Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance Benefits; or Subchapter XVI of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. 1381et seq., as amended, Supplemental Security Income for Aged, Blind, and Disabled;
(2) The recipient, after consultation with appropriate representatives of the private bar, has determined that the type of case is one that private attorneys in the area served by the recipient ordinarily do not accept, or do not accept without prepayment of a fee; or
(3) The director of the recipient, or the director's designee, has determined that referral of the case to the private bar is not possible because:
(i) Documented attempts to refer similar cases in the past generally have been futile;
(ii) Emergency circumstances compel immediate action before referral can be made, but the client is advised that, if appropriate, and consistent with professional responsibility, referral will be attempted at a later time; or
(iii) Recovery of damages is not the principal object of the recipient's client's case and substantial statutory attorneys' fees are not likely to be available.
Title 45 published on 03-Jun-2017 03:14
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 45 CFR Part 1609 after this date.