45 CFR 2521.30 - How will AmeriCorps subtitle C program grants be awarded?
In any fiscal year, the Corporation will award AmeriCorps subtitle C program grants as follows:
(a)Grants to State Applicants.
(1) For the purposes of this section, the term “State” means the fifty States, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia.
(2) One-third of the funds available under this part and a corresponding allotment of AmeriCorps educational awards, as specified by the Corporation, will be distributed according to a population-based formula to the 50 States, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia if they have applications approved by the Corporation.
(3) At least one-third of funds available under this part and an appropriate number of AmeriCorps awards, as determined by the Corporation, will be awarded to States on a competitive basis. In order to receive these funds, a State must receive funds under paragraphs (a)(2) or (b)(1) of this section in the same fiscal year.
(4) In making subgrants with funds awarded by formula or competition under paragraphs (a)(2) or (3) of this section, a State must ensure that a minimum of 50 percent of funds going to States will be used for programs that operate in the areas of need or on Federal or other public lands, and that place a priority on recruiting participants who are residents in high need areas, or on Federal or other public lands. The Corporation may waive this requirement for an individual State if at least 50 percent of the total amount of assistance to all States will be used for such programs.
(b)Grants to Applicants other than States.
(1) One percent of available funds will be distributed to the U.S. Territories 1 that have applications approved by the Corporation according to a population-based formula. 2
1 The United States Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
2 The amount allotted as a grant to each such territory or possession is equal to the ratio of each such Territory's population to the population of all such territories multiplied by the amount of the one percent set-aside.
(2) One percent of available funds will be reserved for distribution to Indian tribes on a competitive basis.
(3) The Corporation will use any funds available under this part remaining after the award of the grants described in paragraphs (a) and (b) (1) and (2) of this section to make direct competitive grants to subdivisions of States, Indian tribes, public or private nonprofit organizations (including religious organizations and labor organizations), institutions of higher education, and Federal agencies. No more than one-third of the these remaining funds may be awarded to Federal agencies.
(c)Allocation of AmeriCorps educational awards only. The Corporation will determine on an annual basis the appropriate number of educational awards to make available for eligible applicants who have not applied for program assistance.
(d)Effect of States' or Territories' failure to apply. If a State or U.S. Territory does not apply for or fails to give adequate notice of its intent to apply for a formula-based grant as announced by the Corporation and published in applications and the Notice of Funds Availability, the Corporation will use the amount of that State's allotment to make grants to eligible entities to carry out AmeriCorps programs in that State or Territory. Any funds remaining from that State's allotment after making such grants will be reallocated to the States, Territories, and Indian tribes with approved AmeriCorps applications at the Corporation's discretion.
(e)Effect of rejection of State application. If a State's application for a formula-based grant is ultimately rejected by the Corporation pursuant to § 2522.320 of this chapter, the State's allotment will be available for redistribution by the Corporation to the States, Territories, and Indian Tribes with approved AmeriCorps applications as the Corporation deems appropriate.
(f) The Corporation will make grants for training, technical assistance and other special programs described in part 2524 of this chapter at the Corporation's discretion.
- 45 CFR 2522.480 — Can a State's Application for Formula Funds Be Rejected?
- 45 CFR 2522.240 — What Financial Benefits Do AmeriCorps Participants Serving in Approved AmeriCorps Positions Receive?
- 45 CFR 2523.90 — Is There a Matching Requirement for Federal Agencies?
- 45 CFR 2524.40 — What Are the Guidelines for Grants to Involve Persons With Disabilities?
- 45 CFR 2524.30 — What Are the Guidelines for Challenge Grants?
- 45 CFR 2523.10 — Are Federal Agencies Eligible to Apply for AmeriCorps Program Funds?