46 CFR § 11.325 - Requirements to qualify for an STCW endorsement as chief engineer officer on vessels powered by main propulsion machinery of 3,000 kW/4,000 HP propulsion power or more (management level).
(1) Provide evidence of not less than 36 months of service as OICEW on ships powered by main propulsion machinery of 750 kW/1,000 HP propulsion power or more. This period may be reduced to not less than 24 months if the applicant has served for not less than 12 months as second engineer officer on ships powered by propulsion machinery of 3,000 kW/4,000 HP or more;
(3) Provide evidence of having satisfactorily completed approved training in the following areas:
(i) Engineroom resource management (ERM) if not completed at the operational level.
(ii) Leadership and managerial skills.
(iii) Management of electrical and electronic control equipment.
(b) For a renewal of an STCW endorsement as chief engineer officer on vessels powered by main propulsion machinery of 3,000 kW/4,000 HP propulsion power or more to be valid on or after January 1, 2017, each candidate must provide evidence of successful completion of approved training in the following:
(1) ERM if not completed at the operational level.
(2) Leadership and managerial skills.
(3) Management of electrical and electronic control equipment.
(c) The Coast Guard may exempt an applicant from meeting any individual knowledge, understanding, and proficiency required in Section A-III/2 of the STCW Code. These exemptions must be approved by the Coast Guard based upon vessel type. Under these circumstances, the credential may include a corresponding limitation.
Table 1 to § 11.325(d) - STCW Endorsement as Chief Engineer Officer on Vessels Powered by Main Propulsion Machinery of 3,000kW/4,000HP Propulsion Power or More
|Entry path from national endorsements||Sea service 1||Competence - STCW Table A-III/2 2||Training required by this section 3|
|Chief engineer (limited)||12 months||Yes||Yes.|
|Chief engineer (MODU)||12 months/24 months 4||Yes||Yes.|
|Chief engineer (OSV)||None||Yes||Yes.|
|Designated duty engineer, any horsepower 5||24 months as DDE||Yes||Yes.|
1 This column provides the minimum additional service required of the seafarer in order to meet the requirements of this section.
2 Complete any items in paragraph (a)(2) of this section not previously satisfied.
3 Complete any items in paragraph (a)(3) of this section not previously satisfied.
4 Depending on the type of sea service used to obtain chief engineer (MODU) (refer to § 11.542 of this part)
5 STCW certificate should be limited to vessels less than 500 GRT.