46 CFR 160.077-15 - Construction and Performance
(1) Each recreational hybrid PFD must be able to pass the tests in § 160.077-19.
(ii) If it is to be marked as Type II or Type V providing Type I or II performance, not require second stage donning to achieve that performance;
(iii) Be capable of being worn while inflated at 60 N (13 lb.) of buoyancy without significantly changing its appearance from, or making it significantly less comfortable than, the uninflated condition;
(v) If it has a manual or automatic inflation mechanism and can be put on inside out, not restrict breathing when donned inside out, adjusted to fit, and inflated.
(3) Have at least one automatic inflation mechanism that inflates at least one chamber, if marked as providing Type I or II performance;
(5) Not have a channel that can direct water to the wearer's face to any greater extent than that of the reference vest defined in § 160.077-3(j).
(6) Have a retainer for each adjustable closure to prevent any part of the closure from being easily removed from the PFD;
(7) If marked as universally sized for wearers weighing over 40 kg (90 pounds), have a chest size range of at least 76 to 120 cm (30 to 52 in.);
(9) Not have edges, projections, or corners, either external or internal, that are sufficiently sharp to damage the PFD or cause injury to anyone using or maintaining the PFD;
(12) Except as otherwise required by this section, meet UL Standard 1517, sections 6.14, 6.20, 7.1, 7.3, 7.8, 8.4, and 9; and
|Inherent buoyancy (deflated condition):|
|Type II||45 N (10 lb)||40 N (9 lb)||30 N (7 lb)|
|Type III||45 N (10 lb)||40 N (9 lb)||N/A|
|Type V||33 N (7.5 lb)||34 N (7.5 lb)||N/A|
|Total buoyancy (inflated condition):|
|Type II||100 N (22 lb)||67 N (15 lb)||53 N (12 lb)|
|Type III||100 N (22 lb)||67 N (15 lb)||N/A|
|Type V||100 N (22 lb)||67 N (15 lb)||N/A|
(14) Meet any additional requirements that the Commandant may prescribe, if necessary, to approve unique or novel designs.
(i) Not require tools to activate it or replace its inflation medium cartridge or water sensitive element;
(ii) Not be capable of locking in the open or closed position except that, a friction-fit dust cap that only locks in the closed position may be used; and
(ii) Be in a ready-to-use condition or be conspicuously marked to indicate that the inflation mechanism is not in a ready-to-use condition and that the purchaser must assemble it.
(i) Provide an easy means of inflation that requires only one deliberate action on the part of the wearer to actuate it; and
(ii) Be operated by pulling on an inflation handle that is marked “Jerk to Inflate” at two visible locations.
(6) The marking required for the inflation handle of a manual inflation mechanism must be waterproof, permanent, and readable from a distance of 2.5 m (8 ft.).
(e) Sewn seams. Stitching used in each structural seam of a PFD must provide performance equal to or better than a Class 300 Lockstitch meeting Federal Standard No. 751.
[CGD 78-174, 50 FR 33928, Aug. 22, 1985, as amended by CGD 78-174A, 51 FR 4351, Feb. 4, 1986; CGD 78-174, 60 FR 2487, Jan. 9, 1995]
Title 46 published on 2014-10-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.