46 CFR 162.161-5 - Instruction manual for design, installation, operation, and maintenance.
(a) The manufacturer must prepare a system instruction manual for design, installation, operation, and maintenance of the system. The manual must be reviewed and accepted by an independent laboratory listed in 46 CFR 162.161-10 and approved by the Coast Guard under 46 CFR 159.005-13.
(b) The manual must include:
(1) The design information as required in the Design Manual as detailed in UL 2166 (incorporated by reference, see § 162.161-2) for halocarbon systems and UL 2127 (incorporated by reference, see § 162.161-2) for inert gas systems;
(2) Installation, operation, and maintenance instructions as required in the Installation, Operation, and Maintenance Instruction Manual detailed in UL 2166 for halocarbon systems and UL 2127 for inert gas systems;
(3) Identification of the computer program listed or approved by the independent laboratory for designing the system;
(4) A sample diagram and calculation for a marine system for a large inspected vessel with several spaces to be protected by the same system;
(5) The approval number issued by the Coast Guard for the system under 46 CFR 159.005-13;
(6) A parts list with manufacturer's part numbers and a description of each system component;
(7) An index of chapters; and
(8) Issue and revision dates for each page.
(c) The manufacturer of each system must provide at least one copy of the system manual with each system.