46 CFR 520.7 - Tariff limitations.
(a)General. Tariffs published pursuant to this part shall:
(1) Be clear and definite;
(2) Use English as the primary textual language;
(3) Not contain cross-references to any other rate tariffs, except:
(4) Not duplicate or conflict with any other tariff publication.
(c)Applicable rates. The rates, charges, and rules applicable to any given shipment shall be those in effect on the date the cargo is received by the common carrier or its agent including originating carriers in the case of rates for through transportation.
(d)Minimum quantity rates. When two or more TRIs are stated for the same commodity over the same route and under similar conditions, and the application is dependent upon the quantity of the commodity shipped, the total freight charges assessed against the shipment may not exceed the total charges computed for a larger quantity, if the TRI specifying a required minimum quantity (either weight or measurement; per container or in containers) will be applicable to the contents of the container(s), and if the minimum set forth is met or exceeded. At the shipper's option, a quantity less than the minimum level may be freighted at the lower TRI if the weight or measurement declared for rating purposes is increased to the minimum level.
(e)Green salted hides. The shipping weight for green salted hides shall be either a scale weight or a scale weight minus a deduction, which amount and method of computation are specified in the commodity description. The shipper must furnish the carrier a weight certificate or dock receipt from an inland common carrier for each shipment at or before the time the shipment is tendered for ocean transportation.
(1) New members of a conference shall cancel any independent tariffs applicable to the trades served by the conference, within ninety (90) days of membership in the conference. Individual conference members may publish their own separate open rate tariffs. Admission to the conference may be effective on the date notice is published in the conference tariff.
(2) The acceptance of any overcharge claim may not be conditioned upon the payment of a fee or charge.
(h)Returned cargo. When a carrier or conference offers the return shipment of refused, damaged or rejected shipments, or exhibits at trade fairs, shows or expositions, to port of origin at the TRI assessed on the original movement, and such TRI is lower than the prevailing TRI:
(2) The return movement must be made over the line of the same common carrier performing the original movement, except in the use of a conference tariff, where return may be made by any member line when the original shipment was carried under the conference tariff; and
Title 46 published on 2015-12-02
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 46 CFR Part 520 after this date.