47 CFR 1.1621 - Definitions.
(a)Medium of mass communications means:
(1) A daily newspaper;
(2) A cable television system; and
(3) A license or construction permit for
(i) A television station, including low power TV or TV translator,
(ii) A standard (AM) radio station,
(iii) An FM radio station,
(iv) A direct broadcast satellite transponder under the editorial control of the licensee, and
(v) A Multipoint Distribution Service station.
(b)Minority group means:
(3) American Indians,
(4) Alaska Natives,
(5) Asians, and
(6) Pacific Islanders.
(c)Owner means the applicant and any individual, partnership, trust, unincorporated association, or corporation which:
(1) If the applicant is a proprietorship, is the proprietor,
(2) If the applicant is a partnership, holds any partnership interest,
(3) If the applicant is a trust, is the beneficiary thereof,
(4) If the applicant is an unincorporated association or non-stock corporation, is a member, or, in the case of a nonmembership association or corporation, a director,
(5) If the applicant is a stock corporation, is the beneficial owner of voting shares.
For purposes of applying the diversity preference to such entities only the other ownership interests of those with a 1% or more beneficial interest in the entity will be cognizable.
For the purposes of this section, a daily newspaper is one which is published four or more days per week, which is in the English language, and which is circulated generally in the community of publication. A college newspaper is not considered as being circulated generally.
For the purposes of applying the diversity preference, the ownership interests of the spouse of an applicant's principal will not presumptively be attributed to the applicant.