49 CFR 172.406 - Placement of labels.
(1) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (e) of this section, each label required by this subpart must -
(b)Exceptions. A label may be printed on or placed on a securely affixed tag, or may be affixed by other suitable means to:
(1) A package that contains no radioactive material and which has dimensions less than those of the required label;
(2) A cylinder; and
(3) A package which has such an irregular surface that a label cannot be satisfactorily affixed.
(c)Placement of multiple labels. When primary and subsidiary hazard labels are required, they must be displayed next to each other. Placement conforms to this requirement if labels are within 150 mm (6 inches) of one another.
(d)Contrast with background. Each label must be printed on or affixed to a background color contrasting to the color specification of the label as required by § 172.407(d)(1), or must have a dotted or solid line outer border, to enhance the visibility of the label. However, the dotted or solid line outer border may also be used for backgrounds of contrasting color.
(e)Duplicate labeling. Generally, only one of each different required label must be displayed on a package. However, duplicate labels must be displayed on at least two sides or two ends (other than the bottom) of -
(2) Each non-bulk package containing a radioactive material;
(3) Each DOT 106 or 110 multi-unit tank car tank. Labels must be displayed on each end;
(4) Each portable tank of less than 3,785 L (1000 gallons) capacity;
(5) Each freight container or aircraft unit load device having a volume of 1.8 m 3 (64 cubic feet) or more, but less than 18 m 3 (640 cubic feet). One of each required label must be displayed on or near the closure; and
(6) An IBC having a volume of 1.8 m 3 (64 cubic feet) or more.
(f)Visibility. A label must be clearly visible and may not be obscured by markings or attachments.
Title 49 published on 09-May-2017 04:41
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 172 after this date.