49 CFR 173.156 - Exceptions for limited quantity and ORM.
(a) Exceptions for hazardous materials shipments in the following paragraphs are permitted only if this section is referenced for the specific hazardous material in the § 172.101 Table or in a packaging section in this part.
(b) Packagings for limited quantity and ORM-D are specified according to hazard class in §§ 173.150 through 173.155, 173.306 and 173.309(b). In addition to exceptions provided for limited quantity and ORM-D materials elsewhere in this part, the following are provided:
(i) Unitized in cages, carts, boxes or similar overpacks;
(ii) Offered for transportation or transported by:
(B) Private or contract motor carrier; or
(C) Common carrier in a vehicle under exclusive use for such service; and
(iii) Transported to or from a manufacturer, a distribution center, or a retail outlet, or transported to a disposal facility from one offeror.
(2) The 30 kg (66 pounds) gross weight limitation does not apply to packages of limited quantity materials marked in accordance with § 172.315 of this subchapter, or, until December 31, 2020, materials classed and marked as ORM-D and described as a Consumer commodity, as defined in § 171.8 of this subchapter, when offered for transportation or transported by highway or rail between a manufacturer, a distribution center, and a retail outlet provided -
(ii) The inner packagings are packed into corrugated fiberboard trays to prevent them from moving freely;
(iii) The trays are placed in a fiberboard box which is banded and secured to a wooden pallet by metal, fabric, or plastic straps, to form a single palletized unit;
(v) The maximum net quantity of hazardous material permitted on one palletized unit is 250 kg (550 pounds).
(c)Display packs. Display packs, as defined in § 171.8 of this subchapter, of consumer commodity or limited quantity packages that exceed 30 kg gross weight limitation may be transported by container/trailer in trailer-on-flatcar (TOFC) or container-on-flat-car (COFC) service, roadrailer and/or railrunner trailers, motor vehicle, or cargo vessel under the following conditions:
(ii) Primary containers must be packed into trays that secure individual containers from shifting inside the completed combination package during transportation;
(iv) The maximum net quantity of hazardous material permitted in one palletized unit is 550 kg (1,210 lbs.).
(2)Marking. The outside of each package must be plainly and durably marked in accordance with one of the following, as appropriate:
(ii) As a limited quantity as prescribed in § 172.315 of this subchapter.
- 49 CFR 173.155 — Exceptions for Class 9 (Miscellaneous Hazardous Materials).
- 49 CFR 173.151 — Exceptions for Class 4.
- 49 CFR 173.153 — Exceptions for Division 6.1 (Poisonous Materials).
- 49 CFR 173.154 — Exceptions for Class 8 (Corrosive Materials).
- 49 CFR 173.152 — Exceptions for Division 5.1 (Oxidizers) and Division 5.2 (Organic Peroxides).
- 49 CFR 173.150 — Exceptions for Class 3 (Flammable and Combustible Liquids).
- 49 CFR 173.306 — Limited Quantities of Compressed Gases.
- 49 CFR 173.230 — Fuel Cell Cartridges Containing Hazardous Material.
- 49 CFR 173.161 — Chemical Kits and First Aid Kits.
- 49 CFR 173.309 — Fire Extinguishers.