49 CFR 173.181 - Pyrophoric materials (liquids).
When the § 172.101 table specifies that a hazardous material be packaged under this section, only the following non-bulk packagings are authorized:
(a) Specification steel or nickel cylinders prescribed for any compressed gas except acetylene having a minimum design pressure of 1206 kPa (175 psig). Cylinders with valves must be:
(1) Equipped with steel valve protection caps or collars, unless overpacked; or
(2) Overpacked in a wooden box (4C1, 4C2, 4D or 4F); fiberboard box (4G), or plastic box (4H1 or 4H2). Cylinders must be secured to prevent shifting in the box and, when offered for transportation or transported, must be so loaded that pressure relief devices remain in the vapor space of the cylinder. (See § 177.838(h) of this subchapter.)
(b) Steel boxes (4A), aluminum boxes (4B), metal boxes, other than steel or aluminum (4N), wooden boxes (4C1, 4C2, 4D, or 4F) or fiberboard boxes (4G); steel drums (1A1 or 1A2), aluminum drums (1B1 or 1B2), metal drums, other than steel or aluminum (1N1 or 1N2), plywood drums (1D), or fiber drums (1G); or steel jerricans (3A1 or 3A2) or aluminum jerricans (3B1 or 3B2) enclosing not more than four strong, tight metal cans with inner receptacles of glass or metal, not over 1 L (0.3 gallon) capacity each, having positive screwcap closures adequately gasketed. Inner packagings must be cushioned on all sides with dry, absorbent, incombustible material in a quantity sufficient to absorb the entire contents. The strong, tight metal cans must be closed by positive means, not by friction.
(c) Steel drums (1A1 or 1A2), aluminum drums (1B1 or 1B2), metal drums, other than steel or aluminum (1N1 or 1N2) or fiber drums (1G); steel jerricans (3A1 or 3A2) or aluminum jerricans (3B1 or 3B2); or steel boxes (4A), aluminum boxes (4B) or metal boxes, other than steel or aluminum (4N) not exceeding 220 L (58 gallons) capacity each with strong, tight inner metal cans not over 4.0 L (1 gallon) capacity each. The strong, tight metal cans must be closed by positive means, not friction.
(1) Inner packagings must have no opening exceeding 25 mm (1 inch) diameter and must be surrounded with noncombustible cushioning material.
(2) Net quantity of pyrophoric liquids may not exceed two-thirds of the rated capacity of the outer drum. For example, a 220 L (58 gallons) outer drum may contain no more than 147 L (39 gallons) of pyrophoric liquids.
(3) Each layer of inner containers must be separated by a metal plate separator in addition to cushioning material.
Title 49 published on 2014-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 173 after this date.