49 CFR 173.416 - Authorized Type B packages.
Each of the following packages is authorized for shipment of quantities exceeding A1 or A2, as appropriate:
(a) Any Type B(U) or Type B(M) packaging that meets the applicable requirements of 10 CFR part 71 and that has been approved by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission may be shipped pursuant to § 173.471.
(b) Any Type B(U) or B(M) packaging that meets the applicable requirements in “IAEA Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Material, SSR-6” (IBR, see § 171.7 of this subchapter) and for which the foreign Competent Authority Certificate has been revalidated by DOT pursuant to § 173.473. These packagings are authorized only for export and import shipments.
(c) A package approved by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission under a special package authorization granted in accordance with 10 CFR 71.41(d) provided it is offered only for domestic transportation in accordance with the requirements in § 173.471(b) and (c).
- 49 CFR 173.472 — Requirements for Exporting DOT Specification Type B and Fissile Packages.
- 49 CFR 173.7 — Government Operations and Materials.
- 49 CFR 173.427 — Transport Requirements for Low Specific Activity (LSA) Class 7 (Radioactive) Material and Surface Contaminated Objects (SCO).
- 49 CFR 173.431 — Activity Limits for Type a and Type B Packages.
- 49 CFR 173.413 — Requirements for Type B Packages.
- 49 CFR 173.415 — Authorized Type a Packages.