49 CFR 173.453 - Fissile materials - exceptions.
Fissile materials meeting the requirements of at least one of the paragraphs (a) through (f) of this section are excepted from the requirements of this subpart for fissile materials, including the requirements of §§ 173.457 and 173.459, but are subject to all other requirements of this subpart, except as noted.
(b) An individual or bulk packaging containing 15 grams or less of fissile material provided the package has at least 200 grams of solid nonfissile material for every gram of fissile material. Lead, beryllium, graphite, and hydrogenous material enriched in deuterium may be present in the package but must not be included in determining the required mass for solid nonfissile material.
(1) There is at least 2000 grams of nonfissile material for every gram of fissile material, and
(2) There is no more than 180 grams of fissile material distributed within 360 kg of contiguous nonfissile material. Lead, beryllium, graphite, and hydrogenous material enriched in deuterium may be present in the package but must not be included in determining the required mass of solid nonfissile material.
(d) Uranium enriched in uranium-235 to a maximum of 1 percent by weight, and with total plutonium and uranium-233 content of up to 1 percent of the mass of uranium-235, provided that the mass of any beryllium, graphite, and hydrogenous material enriched in deuterium constitute less than 5 percent of the uranium mass.
(e) Liquid solutions of uranyl nitrate enriched in uranium-235 to a maximum of 2 percent by mass, with a total plutonium and uranium-233 content not exceeding 0.002 percent of the mass of uranium, and with a minimum nitrogen to uranium atomic ratio (N/U) of 2. The material must be contained in at least a DOT Type A package.
(f) Packages containing, individually, a total plutonium mass of not more than 1000 grams, of which not more than 20 percent by mass may consist of plutonium-239, plutonium-241, or any combination of these radionuclides.
- 49 CFR 173.457 — Transportation of Fissile Material Packages - Specific Requirements.
- 49 CFR 173.417 — Authorized Fissile Materials Packages.
- 49 CFR 173.427 — Transport Requirements for Low Specific Activity (LSA) Class 7 (Radioactive) Material and Surface Contaminated Objects (SCO).
- 49 CFR 173.421 — Excepted Packages for Limited Quantities of Class 7 (Radioactive) Materials.
- 49 CFR 173.418 — Authorized Packages - Pyrophoric Class 7 (Radioactive) Materials.
- 49 CFR 171.23 — Requirements for Specific Materials and Packagings Transported Under the ICAO Technical Instructions, IMDG Code, Transport Canada TDG Regulations, or the IAEA Regulations.
- 49 CFR 172.102 — Special Provisions.
- 49 CFR 173.403 — Definitions.
- 49 CFR 172.203 — Additional Description Requirements.
- 49 CFR 172.402 — Additional Labeling Requirements.