49 CFR 176.340 - Combustible liquids in portable tanks.
(b) In nonspecification portable tanks, subject to the following conditions:
(2) The rated capacity of the tank may not exceed 4,542 L (1,200 gallons), and the rated gross weight may not exceed 13,608 kg (30,000 pounds);
(3) The vibration test need not be performed;
(4) When the total surface area of the tank exceeds 14.9 square meters (160 square feet), the total emergency venting capacity must be determined in accordance with table I in § 178.345-10 of this subchapter;
(5) ln place of a specification identification marking, the tank must be marked, on two sides in letters at least 5 cm (2 inches) high on contrasting background: “FOR COMBUSTIBLE LIQUIDS ONLY” and “49 CFR 176.340”. This latter marking constitutes certification by the person offering the combustible liquid materials for transportation that the portable tank conforms to this paragraph;
(6) Each tank must be made of steel;
(7) The design pressure of the tank must be not less than 62 kPa (9 psig);
(8) No pressure relief device may open at less than 34.4 kPa (5 psig);
Title 49 published on 2015-10-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 176 after this date.