49 CFR § 501.7 - Administrator's reservations of authority.
The delegations of authority in this part do not extend to the following authority, which is reserved to the Administrator, except when exercised pursuant to §§ 501.4 and 501.5(a):
(a) The authority under 23 U.S.C. chapter 4 (except section 403) and any uncodified provision of law to apportion authorization amounts and distribute obligation limitations or award grants to States for highway safety programs or other highway safety purposes;
(b) The authority to issue, amend, or revoke uniform State highway safety guidelines and rules identifying highly effective highway safety programs under 23 U.S.C. 402;
(c) The authority to fix the rate of compensation for non-government members of agency sponsored committees which are entitled to compensation.
(d) The authority under 49 U.S.C. chapter 301 to:
(1) Issue, amend, or revoke final Federal motor vehicle safety standards and regulations;
(2) Make final decisions concerning alleged safety-related defects and noncompliances with Federal motor vehicle safety standards;
(3) Grant or renew temporary exemptions from Federal motor vehicle safety standards; and
(4) Grant or deny appeals from determinations upon a manufacturer's petition for decision of inconsequential defect or noncompliance and exemption from the notification and remedy requirements of 49 U.S.C. chapter 301 in connection with a defect or noncompliance.
(1) Issue, amend, or revoke final rules and regulations; and
(2) Assess civil penalties and approve manufacturer fuel economy credit plans under chapter 329.
(f) The authority to carry out, in coordination with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrator, the authority vested in the Secretary by 49 U.S.C. chapter 311 subchapter III, to promulgate safety standards for commercial motor vehicles and equipment subsequent to initial manufacture when the standards are based upon and similar to a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard promulgated, either simultaneously or previously, under 49 U.S.C. chapter 301.