49 CFR 501.7 - Administrator's reservations of authority.
The delegations of authority in this part do not extend to the following authority which is reserved to the Administrator, except when exercised pursuant to §§ 501.4 and 501.5(a):
(a) The authority under chapter 301 - Motor Vehicle Safety - of Title 49 of the United States Code to:
(1) Issue, amend, or revoke final federal motor vehicle safety standards and regulations;
(2) Make final decisions concerning alleged safety-related defects and noncompliances with Federal motor vehicle safety standards;
(3) Grant or renew temporary exemptions from federal motor vehicle safety standards; and
(4) Grant or deny appeals from determinations upon petitions for inconsequential defect or noncompliance.
(b) The authority under 23 U.S.C. chapter 4, as amended, to:
(1) Apportion authorization amounts and distribute obligation limitations for State highway safety programs under 23 U.S.C. 402;
(2) Award grants to the States under the National Priority Safety Programs, 23 U.S.C. 405;
(3) Issue, amend, or revoke uniform State highway safety guidelines and rules identifying highly effective highway safety programs under 23 U.S.C. 402;
(4) Fix the rate of compensation for non-government members of agency sponsored committees which are entitled to compensation.
(c) The authority under chapters 303, 321, 323, 325, and 329 (except section 32916(b)) of Title 49 of the United States Code to:
(1) Issue, amend, or revoke final rules and regulations; and
(2) Assess civil penalties and approve manufacturer fuel economy credit plans under chapter 329.