49 CFR 593.5 - Petitions for eligibility determinations.
(a) A manufacturer or Registered Importer may petition the Administrator for a determination that a vehicle that does not comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards is eligible for importation, either
(1) On the basis that the vehicle:
(i) Is substantially similar to a vehicle which was originally manufactured for importation into and sale in the United States and which bore a certification affixed by its manufacturer pursuant to part 567 of this chapter, and
(ii) Is capable of being readily modified to conform to all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards; or
(2) On the basis that the vehicle has safety features that comply with or are capable of being modified to comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards.
(b) Each petition filed under this part must -
(1) Be written in the English language;
(2) Be headed with the words “Petition for Import Eligibility Determination” and submitted in three copies to: Director, Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Fourth Floor, Room W43-481, Mail Code NVS-220, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590.
(3) State the full name and address of the petitioner.
(5) Set forth the basis for the petition and the information required by § 593.6 (a) or (b), as appropriate;
(6) Specify any part of the information and data submitted which petitioner requests be withheld from public disclosure in accordance with part 512 of this chapter; and
(7) Submit a certified check payable to the Treasurer of the United States, for the amount of the vehicle eligibility petition fee established pursuant to part 594 of this chapter.
(c) The knowing and willful submission of false, fictitious or fraudulent information may subject the petitioner to the criminal penalties of 18 U.S.C. 1001.
Title 49 published on 09-May-2017 04:41
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 49 CFR Part 593 after this date.