49 CFR Appendix Table 3 to Subpart B of Part 224 - Alternative Schedule for Application of Retroreflective Material to Freight Cars per § 224.107(a)(2)(ii)
|November 28, 2007||20|
|November 28, 2008||30|
|November 28, 2009||40|
|November 28, 2010||50|
|November 28, 2011||60|
|November 28, 2012||70|
|November 28, 2013||80|
|November 28, 2014||90|
|November 28, 2015||100|
1 Column (A) indicates the date by which the minimum percentage of an owner's freight cars specified in column (B) must be equipped with retroreflective sheeting conforming to this part.
(A) The designated fleet shall be equipped with retroreflective sheeting according to the schedule specified in Table 3 of this section;
(B) No later than January 28, 2008, the freight rolling stock owner shall submit to FRA an updated Reflectorization Implementation Compliance Report showing which cars of the fleet subject to this part were equipped with retroreflective sheeting as required by this part during the initial 24-month implementation period. Thereafter, updated Reflectorization Implementation Compliance Reports shall be submitted annually, no later than December 31 of each year for the duration of the 10-year implementation period. See Appendix B of this part.
(C) If, following the conclusion of the initial 24-month period or any 12-month period thereafter, the percentage requirements of this section have not been met -
(1) The freight rolling stock owner shall be considered in violation of this part;
(2) The freight rolling stock owner shall, within 60 days after the close of the period, report the failure to the Associate Administrator;
(3) The requirements of paragraph (a)(2)(i) shall apply to all railroad freight cars subject to this part in the freight rolling stock owner's fleet; and
(4) The fleet owner shall take such additional action as may be necessary to achieve future compliance.
(D) Cars to be retired shall be included in the fleet total until they are retired.
(3) Existing cars with retroreflective sheeting. If as of October 28, 2005, a car is equipped on each side with at least one square foot of retroreflective sheeting, uniformly distributed over the length of each side, that car shall be considered in compliance with this part through November 28, 2015, provided the sheeting is not unqualified retroreflective sheeting, and provided the freight rolling stock owner files a completed Reflectorization Implementation Compliance Report with FRA no later than January 26, 2006 identifying the cars already so equipped. See Appendix B of this part for Reflectorization Implementation Compliance form.
(b) Locomotives. Except as provided in paragraph (b)(4) of this section, all locomotives subject to this part must be equipped with conforming retroreflective sheeting by November 28, 2010. If a locomotive already has reflective material applied that does not meet the standards of this part, it is not necessary to remove the material unless its placement interferes with the placement of the sheeting required by this part.
(1) New locomotives. Retroreflective sheeting conforming to this part must be applied to all locomotives constructed after January 26, 2006, before they are placed in service.
(2) Existing locomotives without retroreflective sheeting.
(i) If as of October 28, 2005 a locomotive subject to this part is not equipped with the minimum amount of retroreflective sheeting specified in paragraph (b)(3) of this section, retroreflective sheeting conforming to this part must be applied to the locomotive not later than nine months after the first biennial inspection performed pursuant to 49 CFR 229.29 occurring after November 28, 2005.
(ii) A freight rolling stock owner may elect not to follow the schedule in paragraph (b)(2)(i) of this section, if not later than January 26, 2006, the freight rolling stock owner submits to FRA a Reflectorization Implementation Compliance Report certifying that the locomotives in the owner's fleet subject to this part will be equipped with retroreflective sheeting as required by this part in accordance with the schedule specified in Table 4 of this section. See Appendix B of this part.