5 CFR 550.101 - Coverage and exemptions.
(a) Employees to whom this subpart applies.
(2) The sections in this subpart incorporating special provisions for certain types of work (§§ 550.141 through 550.164, inclusive) apply also to each employee of the judicial branch or the legislative branch who is subject to subchapter V of chapter 55 of title 5, United States Code.
(b) Employees to whom this subpart does not apply. This subpart does not apply to:
(1) An elected official;
(2) The head of a department;
(4) An employee whose pay is fixed and adjusted from time to time in accordance with prevailing rates under subchapter IV of chapter 53 of title 5, United States Code, or by a wage board or similar administrative authority serving the same purpose, except that § 550.113(d) is applicable to such an employee whose rate of basic pay is fixed on an annual or monthly basis;
(6) An employee of the Tennessee Valley Authority;
(8) A seaman to whom section 1(a) of the act of March 24, 1943 (57 Stat. 45; 50 U.S.C. App. 1291(a)) applies;
(9) A member of the United States Park Police or the United States Secret Service Uniformed Division, except for the purpose of night pay under §§ 550.121 and 550.122, pay for holiday work under §§ 550.131 and 550.132, and pay for Sunday work under §§ 550.171 and 550.172 of this subpart;
(10) An officer or member of the crew of a vessel, whose pay is fixed and adjusted from time to time as nearly as is consistent with the public interest in accordance with prevailing rates and practices in the maritime industry (30 Comp. Gen. 158);
(11) A civilian keeper of a lighthouse, or a civilian employed on a lightship or another vessel of the Coast Guard (14 U.S.C. 432(f));
(13) A student-employee as defined by section 5351 of title 5, United States Code;
(15) An employee of a Federal land bank, a Federal intermediate credit bank, or a bank for cooperatives;
(16) A “teacher” or an individual holding a “teaching position” as defined by section 901 of title 20, United States Code;
(17) A Foreign Service officer or a member of the Senior Foreign Service; or
(18) A member of the Senior Executive Service.
(c) Employees to whom §§ 550.111, 550.113, and 550.114 of this subpart do not apply. Except for the purpose of determining hours of work in excess of 8 hours in a day, §§ 550.111, 550.113, and 550.114 of this subpart do not apply to an employee who is subject to the overtime pay provisions of section 7 of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 and part 551 of this chapter.
(d) Services to which this subpart does not apply. This subpart does not apply to overtime, night, Sunday, or holiday services for which additional pay is provided by the act of:
(4) May 27, 1936, as amended (49 Stat. 1380, as amended; 46 U.S.C. 382b), involving local inspectors of steam vessels and assistants, U.S. shipping commissioners, deputies, and assistants, and customs officers and employees;
(6) August 4, 1949 (63 Stat. 495; 7 U.S.C. 349a), involving employees of the Bureau of Animal Industry who work at establishments which prepare virus, serum, toxin, and analogous products for use in the treatment of domestic animals; or
(7) August 28, 1950 (64 Stat. 561; 7 U.S.C. 2260), involving employees of the Department of Agriculture performing inspection or quarantine services relating to imports into and exports from the United States.
Title 5 published on 2015-01-01
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 5 CFR Part 550 after this date.