50 CFR 12.37 - Sale.
(a) Wildlife and plants may be sold or offered for sale, except any species which at the time it is to be sold or offered for sale falls into one of the following categories:
(1) Listed in § 10.13 of this title as a migratory bird protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (16 U.S.C. 703-712);
(2) Protected under the Eagle Protection Act (16 U.S.C. 668-668d);
(3) Listed in § 23.33 of this title as “Appendix I” under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora;
(4) Listed in § 17.11 of this title as “endangered” or “threatened” under the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (16 U.S.C. 1533), unless the item or species may be lawfully traded in interstate commerce; and
(5) Protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act (16 U.S.C. 1361-1407), unless the item or species may be lawfully traded in interstate commerce.
(b) Wildlife and plants must be sold in accordance with current Federal Property Management Regulations (41 CFR chapter 101) and Interior Property Management Regulations (41 CFR chapter 114) or U.S. Customs laws and regulations, except the Director may sell any wildlife or plant immediately for its fair market value if the Director determines that it is liable to perish, deteriorate, decay, waste, or greatly decrease in value by keeping, or that the expense of keeping it is disproportionate to its value.
(c) Wildlife or plants which may not be possessed lawfully by purchasers under the laws of the State where held may be moved to a State where possession is lawful and may be sold.
(d) Wildlife or plants purchased at sale are subject to the prohibitions, restrictions, conditions, or requirements which apply to a particular species of wildlife or plant imposed by the laws or regulations of the United States or any State, including any applicable conservation, health, quarantine, agricultural, or Customs laws or regulations, except as provided by § 12.32 of this part.
(e) The Director may use the proceeds of sale to reimburse the Service for any costs which by law the Service is authorized to recover or to pay any rewards which by law may be paid from sums the Service receives.