50 CFR 404.10 - Commercial fishing.
(a) Lobster fishing. Any commercial lobster fishing permit is subject to a zero annual harvest limit condition.
(b) Fishing and bottomfish and pelagic species.
(1) Notwithstanding the prohibitions in § 404.7(a) and (h), commercial fishing for bottomfish and associated pelagic species may continue within the Monument subject to paragraph (c) of this section, until June 15, 2011, provided that:
(i) The fishing is conducted in accordance with a valid commercial bottomfish permit issued by NOAA; and
(ii) Such permit was in effect on June 15, 2006, and is subsequently renewed pursuant to NOAA regulations at 50 CFR part 665, subpart E as necessary.
(2) Total landings for each fishing year from fishing allowed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section may not exceed the following amounts:
(i) 350,000 pounds for bottomfish species; and
(ii) 180,000 pounds for pelagic species.
(3) Commercial fishing for bottomfish and associated pelagic species is prohibited in the Monument after June 15, 2011.
(c) General requirements. Any commercial fishing within the Monument shall be conducted in accordance with the following restrictions and conditions:
(1) A valid permit or facsimile of a valid permit shall be on board the fishing vessel and available for inspection by an authorized officer;
(2) No attempt is made to falsify or fail to make, keep, maintain, or submit any logbook or logbook form or other required record or report.
(3) Only gear specifically authorized by the relevant permit issued under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act is allowed to be in the possession of a person conducting commercial fishing under this section;
(4) Any person conducting commercial fishing notifies the Secretaries by telephone, facsimile, or electronic mail at least 72 hours before entering the Monument and within 12 hours after leaving the Monument in accordance with § 404.4(b) and (c);
(5) All fishing vessels must carry an activated and functioning VMS unit on board at all times whenever the vessel is in the Monument;
(6) All fishing vessels must carry an observer when requested to do so by the Secretaries;
(7) The activity does not take place within any Ecological Reserve, any Special Preservation Area, or the Midway Atoll Special Management Area.