7 CFR 1901.506 - Book-entry procedure for Rural Development securities - issuance and redemption of certificate by Reserve bank.
(a)Authority of Reserve bank. Each Reserve bank is hereby authorized in accordance with the provisions of this subpart to:
(1) Issue book-entry Rural Development securities by means of entries on its records which shall include the name of the depositor, the amount, the securities title (or series) and maturity date.
(3) Otherwise service and maintain book-entry Rural Development securities.
(4) Issue a confirmation of transaction in the form of a written advice (serially numbered or otherwise) which specifies the amount and description of any securities (that is, the securities title (or series) and the maturity date) sold or transferred and the date of the transaction.
(b)Scope and effect of book-entry procedure.
(1) A Reserve bank as fiscal agent of the United States acting on behalf of Rural Development may apply the book-entry procedure provided for in this subpart to any Rural Development securities which have been or are hereafter deposited for any purpose in accounts with it in its individual capacity under terms and conditions which indicate that the Reserve bank will continue to maintain such deposit accounts in its individual capacity, notwithstanding application of the book-entry procedure to such securities. This paragraph shall be applicable but not limited to Rural Development securities deposited:
(ii) By a member bank for its sole account.
(iii) By a member bank held for the account of its customers.
(iv) In connection with deposits in a member bank of funds of States, Municipalities, or other political subdivisions.
(v) In connection with the performance of an obligation or duty under Federal, State, Municipal, or local law, or judgments or decrees of courts.
(2) The application of the book-entry procedure under paragraph (b)(1) of this section shall not detract from or adversely affect the relationships that would otherwise exist between a Reserve bank in its individual capacity and its depositors concerning any deposit under this paragraph. Whenever the book-entry procedure is applied to such Rural Development securities, the Reserve bank is authorized to take all action necessary in respect of the book-entry procedure to enable such Reserve bank in its individual capacity to perform its obligation as depositary with respect to such Rural Development securities.
(3) A Reserve bank as fiscal agent of the United States acting on behalf of Rural Development may apply the book-entry procedure to Rural Development securities deposited as collateral pledged to the United States under Treasury Department Circular Nos. 92 and 176, both as revised and amended, and may apply the book-entry procedure, with the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury, to any other Rural Development securities deposited with a Reserve bank as fiscal agent of the United States.
(4) Any person having an interest in Rural Development securities which are deposited with a Reserve bank (in either its individual capacity or as fiscal agent of the United States) for any purpose shall be deemed to have consented to their conversion to book-entry Rural Development securities pursuant to the provisions of this subpart and in the manner and under the procedure prescribed by the Reserve bank.
(5) No deposits shall be accepted under this section on or after the date of maturity or call of Rural Development securities.
(c)Transfer or pledge.
(1) A transfer or pledge of book-entry Rural Development securities to a Reserve bank (in its individual capacity or as fiscal agent of the United States), or to the United States, or to any transferee or pledgee eligible to maintain an appropriate book-entry account in its name with a Reserve bank under this subpart is effected and perfected, notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, by a Reserve bank making an appropriate entry in its records of the securities transferred or pledged. The making of such an entry in the records of a Reserve bank shall:
(i) Have the effect of a delivery in bearer form of definitive Rural Development securities.
(ii) Have the effect of a taking of delivery by the transferee or pledgee.
(iii) Constitute the transferee or pledgee a holder.
(iv) If a pledge, effect a perfected security interest therein in favor of the pledgee. A transfer or pledge of book-entry Rural Development securities effected under this paragraph shall have priority over any transfer, pledge, or other interest, theretofore or thereafter effected or perfected under paragraph (c)(2) of this section or any other manner.
(2) A transfer or pledge of transferable Rural Development securities, or any interest therein, which is maintained by a Reserve bank (in its individual capacity or as fiscal agent of the United States) in a book-entry account under this subpart, including securities in book-entry form under § 1901.506(b)(1)(iii) is effected, and a pledge is perfected by any means that would be effective under applicable law to effect a transfer or to effect and perfect a pledge of Rural Development securities, or any interest therein, if the securities were maintained by the Reserve bank in bearer definitive form. For purposes of transfer or pledge hereunder, book-entry Rural Development securities maintained by a Reserve bank shall, notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, be deemed to be maintained in bearer definitive form. A Reserve bank maintaining book-entry Rural Development securities, either in its individual capacity or as fiscal agent of the United States, is not a bailee for the purposes of notification of pledges of these securities under this paragraph, or a third person in possession for the purposes of acknowledgment of transfers thereof under this paragraph. Where transferable Rural Development securities are recorded on the books of a depositary (a bank, banking institution, financial firm, or similar party, which regularly accepts in the course of its business Rural Development securities as a custodial service for customers, and maintains accounts in the names of such customers reflecting ownership of or interest in such securities) for account of the pledgor or transferor thereof and such securities are on deposit with a Reserve bank in a book-entry account hereunder, such depositary shall, for purposes of perfecting a pledge of such securities or effecting delivery of such securities to a purchaser under applicable provisions of law, be the bailee to which notification of the pledge of the securities may be given or the third person in possession from which acknowledgment of the holding of the securities for the purchaser may be obtained. A Reserve bank will not accept notice or advice of a transfer or pledge effected or perfected under this paragraph and any such notice or advice shall have no effect. A Reserve bank may continue to deal with its depositor in accordance with the provisions of this subpart, notwithstanding any transfer or pledge effected or perfected under this paragraph.
(3) No filing or recording with a public recording office or officer shall be necessary or effective with respect to any transfer or pledge of book-entry Rural Development securities or any interest therein.
(4) A Reserve bank shall, upon receipt of appropriate instructions, convert book-entry Rural Development securities into definitive Rural Development securities and deliver them in accordance with such instructions. No such conversion shall affect existing interest in such Rural Development securities.
(5) A transfer of book-entry Rural Development securities within a Federal Reserve Bank shall be made in accordance with procedures established by the Reserve bank not inconsistent with this subpart. The transfer of book-entry Rural Development securities by a Reserve bank may be made through a telegraphic transfer procedure.
(6) All requests for transfer or withdrawal must be made prior to the maturity or date of call of the securities.
(d)Withdrawal of Rural Development securities.
(1) A depositor of book-entry Rural Development securities may withdraw them from a Reserve bank by requesting delivery of like definitive Rural Development securities to itself or on its order to a transferee.
(2) Rural Developmentsecurities which are actually to be delivered upon withdrawal may be issued in bearer or registered form.
(e)Delivery of Rural Development securities. A Reserve bank which has received Rural Development securities and effected pledges, made entries regarding them, or transferred or delivered them according to the instructions of its depositor is not liable for conversion or for participation in breach of fiduciary duty even though the depositor had no right to dispose of or take other action in respect of the securities. A Reserve bank shall be fully discharged of its obligations under this subpart by the delivery of Rural Development securities in definitive form to its depositor or upon the order of such depositor. Customers of a member bank or other depositary (other than a Reserve bank) may obtain Rural Development securities in definitive form only by causing the depositor of the Reserve bank to order the withdrawal thereof from the Reserve bank.
(1) No formal assignment shall be required for the conversion to book-entry Rural Development securities of registered Rural Development securities held by a Reserve bank (in either its individual capacity or as fiscal agent of the United States) on the effective date of this subpart for any purpose specified in § 1901.506(b)(1). Registered Rural Development securities deposited thereafter with a Reserve bank for any purpose specified in § 1901.506(b) shall be assigned for conversion to book-entry Rural Development securities.
(2) The assignment which shall be executed in accordance with the provisions of subpart F of 31 CFR part 306, so far as applicable, shall be to Federal Reserve Bank of ____, as fiscal agent of the United States acting on behalf of the Rural Development, United States Department of Agriculture, for conversion to book-entry Rural Development securities.
(g)Servicing book-entry Rural Development securities, payment of interest, payment at maturity or upon call. Interest becoming due on book-entry Rural Development securities shall be charged to the general account of the Treasurer of the United States on the interest due date and remitted or credited in accordance with the depositor's instructions. Such securities shall be redeemed and charged to the same account on the date of maturity or call, and the redemption proceeds, principal, and interest shall be disposed of in accordance with the depositor's instructions.
(h)Issuance and redemption.
(1) In those instances where the Reserve bank is acting as fiscal agent of the United States acting on behalf of Rural Development, the following subparts of Treasury Department Circular No. 300 ( 31 CFR part 306), so far as applicable, shall apply to such certificates.
(i) Subpart B, Registration.
(ii) Subpart C, Transfers, Exchanges and Reissues.
(iii) Subpart D, Redemption or Payment.
(iv) Subpart E, Interest.
(v) Subpart G, Assignments of Registered Securities - General.
(vi) Subpart F, Assignments by or in Behalf of Individuals.
(vii) Subpart H, Assignments in Behalf of Estates of Deceased Owners.
(viii) Subpart I, Assignments by or in Behalf of Trustees and Similar Fiduciaries.
(ix) Subpart J, Assignments in Behalf of Private or Public Organizations.
(x) Subpart K, Attorneys in Fact.
(xi) Subpart L, Transfer Through Judicial Proceedings.
(xii) Subpart M, Requests for Suspension of Transactions.
(xiii) Subpart N, Relief for Loss, Theft, Destruction, Mutilation, or Defacement of Securities.