7 CFR § 958.47 - Research and development.
(a) The committee with the approval of the Secretary, may establish or provide for the establishment of projects involving production research, marketing research and development projects, and marketing promotion including paid advertising, designed to assist, improve, or promote the marketing, distribution, consumption or efficient production of onions. Any such project for the promotion and advertising of onions may utilize an identifying mark which shall be made available for use by all handlers in accordance with such terms and conditions as the committee, with the approval of the Secretary, may prescribe. The expenses of such projects shall be paid from funds collected pursuant to § 958.42 or § 958.46.
(1) The expected supply of onions in relation to market requirements;
(2) The supply situation among competing areas and commodities;
(3) The anticipated benefits from such projects in relation to their costs;
(4) The need for marketing research with respect to any market development activity; and
(2) Its recommendation as to any research projects; and
(3) Its recommendation as to promotion activity and paid advertising.