Or. Admin. R. 951-003-0003 - Program Description
(1) A credit against the taxes that are otherwise due under ORS chapter 316 or, if the taxpayer is a corporation, under ORS chapter 317 or 318, is allowed to a taxpayer for certified film production development contributions made by the taxpayer during the tax year to the Oregon Production Investment Fund established under ORS 284.367 (Oregon Production Investment Fund).
(a) The Department of Revenue shall, in cooperation with OFVO, conduct an auction of tax credits under this section. The department may conduct the auction in the manner that it determines is best suited to maximize the return to the state on the sale of tax credit certifications and shall announce a reserve bid prior to conducting the auction. The reserve amount shall be at least 90 percent of the total amount of the tax credit. Moneys necessary to reimburse the department for the actual costs incurred by the department in administering an auction, not to exceed 0.25 percent of auction proceeds, are continuously appropriated to the department. The department shall deposit net receipts from the auction required under this section in the Oregon Production Investment Fund.
(b) OFVO shall adopt rules in order to achieve the following goals:
(A) Subject to paragraph (a) of this subsection, generate contributions for which tax credits of the maximum allowable under ORS 315.514 Sec. 2(b)(A) are certified for each fiscal year;
(B) Maximize income and excise tax revenues that are retained by the State of Oregon for state operations; and
(C) Provide the necessary financial incentives for taxpayers to make contributions, taking into consideration the impact of granting a credit upon a taxpayer's federal income tax liability.
(3) Contributions made under this section shall be deposited in the Oregon Production Investment Fund.
(a) Upon receipt of a contribution, OFVO shall, except as provided in ORS\ 315.516 (Funding in lieu of tax credit certification), issue to the taxpayer written certification of the amount certified for tax credit under this section to the extent the amount certified for tax credit, when added to all amounts previously certified for tax credit under this section, does not exceed the maximum allowable under ORS 315.514 Sec. 2(b)(A) for the fiscal year in which certification is made.
(b) OFVO and the department are not liable, and a refund of a contributed amount need not be made, if a taxpayer who has received tax credit certification is unable to use all or a portion of the tax credit to offset the tax liability of the taxpayer.
(5) To the extent OFVO does not certify contributed amounts as eligible for a tax credit under this section, the taxpayer may request a refund of the amount the taxpayer contributed, and the office shall refund that amount.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a tax credit claimed under this section may not exceed the tax liability of the taxpayer and may not be carried over to another tax year.
(b) Any tax credit otherwise allowable under this section that is not used by the taxpayer in a particular tax year may be carried forward and offset against the taxpayer's tax liability for the next succeeding tax year. Any credit remaining unused in the next succeeding tax year may be carried forward and used in the second succeeding tax year, and likewise, any credit not used in that second succeeding tax year may be carried forward and used in the third succeeding tax year but may not be carried forward for any tax year thereafter.
(7) If a tax credit is claimed under this section by a nonresident or part-year resident taxpayer, the amount shall be allowed without proration under ORS 316.117 (Proration between Oregon income and other income for nonresidents, part-year residents and trusts).
(8) If the amount of contribution for which a tax credit certification is made is allowed as a deduction for federal tax purposes, the amount of the contribution shall be added to federal taxable income for Oregon tax purposes.
Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 284.335 & ORS 315.514
Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 315.514
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
No prior version found.