Sec. 4.52 - Local assessment system
§ 4.52. Local assessment system
(a) Each school entity shall design an assessment system to do the following:
(1) Determine the degree to which students are achieving academic standards under § 4.12 (relating to academic standards). The school entity shall provide assistance to students not attaining academic standards at the proficient level or better.
(2) Use assessment results to improve curriculum and instructional practices and to guide instructional strategies.
(3) Provide information requested by the Department regarding the achievement of academic standards, but which does not include student names, identification numbers or individually identifiable information.
(4) Provide summary information, including results of assessments under this section, to the general public regarding the achievement of students, but which does not include student names, identification numbers or individually identifiable information.
(b) The local assessment system shall be approved by the board of school directors, at minimum, once every 6 years and implemented no later than 1 year after the approval date.
(c) The local assessment system shall be designed to include a variety of assessment strategies which may include the following:
(1) Written work by students.
(2) Scientific experiments conducted by students.
(3) Works of art or musical, theatrical or dance performances by students.
(4) Other demonstrations, performances, products or projects by students related to specific academic standards.
(5) Examinations developed by teachers to assess specific academic standards.
(6) Nationally-available achievement tests.
(7) Diagnostic assessments.
(8) Evaluations of portfolios of student work related to achievement of academic standards.
(9) Other measures as appropriate, which may include standardized tests.
(d) Individual test information shall be maintained in a student's educational record in a manner consistent with section 444 of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (20 U.S.C.A. § 1232g) and 34 CFR Part 99 (relating to family educational rights and privacy).
(e) Children with disabilities shall be included in the local assessment system, with appropriate accommodations, when necessary. As appropriate, the school district, including a charter school, including a cyber charter school, or AVTS shall develop guidelines for the participation of children with disabilities in alternate assessments for those children who cannot participate in the local assessment as determined by each child's Individualized Education Program team under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and this part.
(f) The Department will establish a Local Assessment Validation Advisory Committee (Committee). The Committee will develop the criteria for the local validation process and criteria for selection of approved validation entities as provided in § 4.24(c)(1)(iii)(B) (relating to high school graduation requirements). The Department, in consultation with the Committee, will establish a list of entities approved to perform independent validations of local assessments. The Committee will submit its recommendations for approval or disapproval to the Board. The Department will post the approved criteria, selection criteria and list of approved entities on its web site.(The provisions of this § 4.52 amended February 15, 2008, effective February 16, 2008, 38 Pa.B. 872; amended January 8, 2010, effective January 9, 2010, 40 Pa.B. 240; amended February 28, 2014, effective March 1, 2014, 44 Pa.B. 1131.)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.