Utah Admin. Code R628-2-4 - Investment of Funds
Current through Bulletin No. 2021-18, September 15, 2021
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
A. Funds within the scope of this rule, except funds described in Section R628-2-3, may be invested in any of the following:
1. in any deposit or investment authorized by Section 51-7-11 or 51-7-5;
2. in professionally managed pooled or commingled investment funds registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission with a Morningstar rating of "3" or higher.
3. in equity securities, including common and convertible preferred stock and convertible bonds, issued by corporations listed on a major securities exchange or in the NASDAQ, in accordance with the following criteria applied, on a total market basis, at the time of investment:
a) no more than 20% of all funds may be invested in securities listed in the NASDAQ;
b) no more than 5% of all funds may be invested in the securities of any one corporate issuer;
c) no more than 25% of all funds may be invested in a particular industry;
d) no more than 5% of all funds may be invested in securities of corporations that have been in continuous operation for less than three years;
e) no more than 5% of the outstanding voting securities of any one corporation may be held; and
f) at least 50% of the corporations in which equity investments are made under R628-2-4.(A)(3) must appear on the Standard and Poor's 500 Composite Stock Price Index and the Wilshire 5000;
4. in fixed-income securities, including bonds, notes, mortgage securities and zero coupon securities, issued by corporations rated "investment grade" or higher by Moody's Investors Service, Inc. or by Standard and Poor's Corporation in accordance with the following criteria applied, on a total market basis, at the time of investment:
a) no more than 5% of all funds may be invested in the securities of any one corporate issuer;
b) no more than 25% of all funds may be invested in a particular industry;
c) the dollar-weighted average maturity of fixed-income securities acquired under R628-2-4(A)(4) may not exceed ten years; and
5. in fixed-income securities issued by agencies of the United States and United States government-sponsored organizations, including mortgage-backed pass-through certificates, mortgage-backed bonds and collateralized mortgage obligations (CMO's).
B. Investments made under this rule shall observe the following investment percentages on a total market basis as of the most recent quarterly review, for specified subsections;
1. no more than 75% of all funds may be invested in equity securities (Subsection R628-2-4(A)(3) investments).
2. no more than 5% of all funds may be invested in collateralized mortgage obligations (CMO's) (Subsection R628-2-4(A)(5) investments).
C. The selection criteria established in Section 51-7-14 shall apply to investments permitted by this rule.
D. Certified investment advisers may be employed to assist in the investment of funds under this rule. Compensation to certified investment advisers may be provided from earnings generated by the funds' investments.