10 U.S. Code § 251 - Federal aid for State governments

prev | next
§ 251.
Federal aid for State governments

Whenever there is an insurrection in any State against its government, the President may, upon the request of its legislature or of its governor if the legislature cannot be convened, call into Federal service such of the militia of the other States, in the number requested by that State, and use such of the armed forces, as he considers necessary to suppress the insurrection.

(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 15, § 331; renumbered § 251, Pub. L. 114–328, div. A, title XII, § 1241(a)(2), Dec. 23, 2016, 130 Stat. 2497.)

Historical and Revision Notes

Revised section

Source (U.S. Code)

Source (Statutes at Large)



R.S. 5297.

The words “armed forces” are substituted for the words “land or naval forces of the United States”. The word “governor” is substituted for the word “executive”. The word “may” is substituted for the words “it shall be lawful * * * to”. The words “into Federal service” are substituted for the word “forth” for uniformity and clarity.


2016—Pub. L. 114–328 renumbered section 331 of this title as this section.


LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.