16 U.S. Code § 4102 - Definitions
For the purposes of this chapter:
(1) The term “Federal fishery management plan” means a plan developed under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (16 U.S.C. 1801 et seq.).
(2) The term “fishery resource” means finfish, mollusks, crustaceans, and any other form of marine animal or plant life, other than marine mammals and birds.
(3) The term “interjurisdictional fishery resource” means—
(A) a fishery resource for which a fishery occurs in waters under the jurisdiction of one or more States and the exclusive economic zone established by Proclamation Numbered 5030, dated March 10, 1983;
(C) a fishery resource which migrates between the waters under the jurisdiction of two or more States bordering on the Great Lakes.
For purposes of applying section 4104 (a)(3) of this title during fiscal year 1987, a Federal fishery management plan or an interstate fishery management plan for the fishery resource need not be in existence, but a plan of either kind for that resource must be in the development process during that year.
(4) The term “interstate fishery management plan” means a plan for managing fisheries developed and adopted by an interstate commission.
(5) The term “interstate commission” means a commission or other administrative body established by an interstate compact.
(6) The term “interstate compact” means a compact that has been entered into by two or more States, established for the purposes of conserving and managing interjurisdictional fishery resources throughout their range, and consented to and approved by Congress.
(7) The term “project” means a program for research in support of the management of an interjurisdictional fishery resource or an interstate cooperative fishery management agreement.
(9) The term “State” means any of the several States of the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Virgin Islands, Guam, or the Northern Mariana Islands.
Source(Pub. L. 99–659, title III, § 303,Nov. 14, 1986, 100 Stat. 3732; Pub. L. 104–208, div. A, title I, § 101(a) [title II, § 211(b)], Sept. 30, 1996, 110 Stat. 3009, 3009–41.)
References in Text
This chapter, referred to in text, was in the original “this title”, meaning title III of Pub. L. 99–659, Nov. 14, 1986, 100 Stat. 3731, which is classified principally to this chapter. For complete classification of title III to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 4101 of this title and Tables.
The Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, referred to in par. (1), is Pub. L. 94–265, Apr. 13, 1976, 90 Stat. 331, as amended, which is classified principally to chapter 38 (§ 1801 et seq.) of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 1801 of this title and Tables.
Proclamation Numbered 5030, referred to in par. (3)(A), is set out under section 1453 of this title.
1996—Par. (1). Pub. L. 104–208substituted “Magnuson-Stevens Fishery” for “Magnuson Fishery”.
Effective Date of 1996 Amendment
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.