16 U.S. Code § 582a–8 - Competitive forestry, natural resources, and environmental grants program
prev | next
The Secretary of Agriculture (hereafter referred to in this section as the “Secretary”) shall establish a competitive forestry, natural resources, and environmental grant program to award grants for the conduct of research as described in subsection (c) of this section.
(b) Eligible entities
To be eligible to receive a grant under subsection (a) of this section, an entity shall—
(1) be a State agricultural experiment station, a college or university, a research institution or organization, a Federal agency, a private organization, or a corporation that has a demonstrable capacity to conduct forestry, natural resources, and environmental research as determined by the Secretary; and
In awarding the initial grants under subsection (a) of this section the Secretary shall give priority to applicants who will use such grants for research concerning—
(2) ecosystem function and management, including forest ecosystem research, biodiversity, forest productivity, pest management, water resources, and alternative silvicultural systems;
(4) human forest interactions, including outdoor recreation, public policy formulation, economics, sociology, and administrative behavior;
(6) alternative native crops, products, and services that can be produced from renewable natural resources associated with privately held forest lands;
(7) viable economic production and marketing systems for alternative natural resource products and services;
(d) Facilities and equipment
Grants made under this section may be used to update research facilities and equipment available to facilitate the conduct of state-of-the-art research in forestry, natural resources, and the environment.
The Secretary shall request the Cooperative Forestry Research Council referred to in subsection (d)(2) of this section to provide recommendations regarding grant priorities.
Source(Pub. L. 101–624, title XII, § 1232,Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 3543.)
Section was enacted as part of the Forest Stewardship Act of 1990 and as part of the Food, Agriculture, Conservation, and Trade Act of 1990, and not as part of the McIntire-Stennis Act of 1962 which comprises this subchapter.