20 U.S. Code § 1070a–15 - Postbaccalaureate achievement program authority
prev | next
(a) Program authority
The Secretary shall carry out a program to be known as the “Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program” that shall be designed to provide disadvantaged college students with effective preparation for doctoral study.
(b) Required services
A project assisted under this section shall provide—
(1) opportunities for research or other scholarly activities at the institution or at graduate centers designed to provide students with effective preparation for doctoral study;
(c) Permissible services
A project assisted under this section may provide services such as—
(1) education or counseling services designed to improve the financial literacy and economic literacy of students, including financial planning for postsecondary education;
(2) mentoring programs involving faculty members at institutions of higher education, students, or any combination of such persons; and
In approving applications for projects assisted under this section for any fiscal year, the Secretary shall require—
(1) an assurance that not less than two-thirds of the individuals participating in the project proposed to be carried out under any application be low-income individuals who are first generation college students;
(2) an assurance that the remaining persons participating in the project proposed to be carried out be from a group that is underrepresented in graduate education, including—
(A) Alaska Natives, as defined in section 7546 of this title;
(B) Native Hawaiians, as defined in section 7517 of this title; and
(C) Native American Pacific Islanders, as defined in section 1059g of this title;
(3) an assurance that participants be enrolled in a degree program at an eligible institution having an agreement with the Secretary in accordance with the provisions of section 1094 of this title; and
(e) Award considerations
In addition to such other selection criteria as may be prescribed by regulations, the Secretary shall consider in making awards to institutions under this section—
(2) the level of faculty involvement in the project and the description of the research in which students will be involved; and
(f) Maximum stipends
Students participating in research under a project under this section may receive an award that—
Source(Pub. L. 89–329, title IV, § 402E, as added Pub. L. 102–325, title IV, § 402(a)(4),July 23, 1992, 106 Stat. 489; amended Pub. L. 105–244, title IV, § 402(e),Oct. 7, 1998, 112 Stat. 1655; Pub. L. 110–315, title IV, § 403(e),Aug. 14, 2008, 122 Stat. 3203; Pub. L. 111–39, title IV, § 401(a)(5),July 1, 2009, 123 Stat. 1938.)
2009—Subsec. (d)(2)(C). Pub. L. 111–39struck out period before semicolon at end.
2008—Subsec. (b). Pub. L. 110–315, § 403(e)(1)(A), (B), inserted “Required” before “services” in heading and, in introductory provisions, substituted “A project assisted under this section shall provide—” for “A postbaccalaureate achievement project assisted under this section may provide services such as—”.
Subsec. (b)(5) to (8). Pub. L. 110–315, § 403(e)(1)(C)–(E), inserted “and” after the semicolon in par. (5), substituted a period for the semicolon in par. (6), and struck out pars. (7) and (8) which read as follows:
“(7) mentoring programs involving faculty members at institutions of higher education, students, or any combination of such persons; and
“(8) exposure to cultural events and academic programs not usually available to disadvantaged students.”
Subsec. (c). Pub. L. 110–315, § 403(e)(3), added subsec. (c). Former subsec. (c) redesignated (d).
Subsec. (d). Pub. L. 110–315, § 403(e)(2), (4)(A), redesignatedsubsec. (c) as (d) and struck out “postbaccalaureate achievement” after “applications for” in introductory provisions. Former subsec. (d) redesignated (e).
Subsec. (d)(2). Pub. L. 110–315, § 403(e)(4)(B), inserted “, including—” and added subpars. (A) to (C) before semicolon.
Subsec. (e). Pub. L. 110–315, § 403(e)(2), redesignatedsubsec. (d) as (e). Former subsec. (e) redesignated (f).
Subsec. (f). Pub. L. 110–315, § 403(e)(2), (5), redesignatedsubsec. (e) as (f) and substituted “project under this section” for “postbaccalaureate achievement project” in introductory provisions. Former subsec. (f) redesignated (g).
Subsec. (g). Pub. L. 110–315, § 403(e)(2), (6), redesignatedsubsec. (f) as (g) and substituted “section 1070a–11 (g)” for “section 1070a–11 (f)” and “2009 through 2014” for “1993 through 1997”.
1998—Subsec. (e)(1). Pub. L. 105–244substituted “$2,800” for “$2,400”.
Effective Date of 2009 Amendment
Amendment by Pub. L. 111–39effective as if enacted on the date of enactment of Pub. L. 110–315(Aug. 14, 2008), see section 3 ofPub. L. 111–39, set out as a note under section 1001 of this title.
Effective Date of 1998 Amendment
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.