20 U.S. Code § 2501 - Statement of purpose
prev | next
It is the purpose of this subchapter to provide Federal assistance to States to enable them to plan for the development of career education and career development programs and activities for individuals of all ages, and to plan for the improvement of existing programs and activities, in the areas of awareness, exploration, planning, and decisionmaking of individuals served with regard to career opportunities and career development throughout the lifetimes of such individuals, through—
(1) planning for the development of information on the needs for career education and career development for all individuals;
(2) planning for the promotion of a national dialogue on career education and career development designed to encourage each State and local educational agency to determine and adopt the approach best suited to the needs of the individuals served by each such agency;
(3) planning for the assessment of the status of career education and career development programs and practices, including a reassessment of the stereotyping of career opportunities by race or by sex;
(4) planning for the demonstration of the best of the current career education and career development programs and practices by planning to develop and test exemplary programs and practices using various theories, concepts, and approaches with respect to career education and through planning for a nationwide system of regional career education centers;
(5) planning for the training and retraining of persons for conducting career education and career development programs; and
Source(Pub. L. 94–482, title III, § 331,Oct. 12, 1976, 90 Stat. 2221.)
Chapter effective 30 days after Oct. 12, 1976, except either as specifically otherwise provided or, if not so specifically otherwise provided, effective July 1, 1976, where section provides for authorization of appropriations, see section 532 ofPub. L. 94–482, set out as an Effective Date of 1976 Amendment note under section 1001 of this title.
Short Title of 1978 Amendment
Pub. L. 95–270, Apr. 27, 1978, 92 Stat. 220, which enacted sections 2566 to 2569 of this title, is known as the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs and the Everett McKinley Dirksen Congressional Leadership Research Center Assistance Act. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 2566 of this title and Tables.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.