20 U.S. Code § 59 - Collections of National Ocean Survey, United States Geological Survey, and others deposited in National Museum
All collections of rocks, minerals, soils, fossils, and objects of natural history, archaeology, and ethnology, made by the National Ocean Survey, the United States Geological Survey, or by any other parties for the Government of the United States, when no longer needed for investigations in progress shall be deposited in the National Museum.
Words “Coast and Interior Survey” appearing in act Mar. 3, 1879, were in prior editions of the Code changed to “Coast and Geodetic Survey.” Congress never created a Coast and Interior Survey. In a communication dated Nov. 6, 1940, the Director of the Geological Survey explained that the words “Coast and Interior Survey” were inadvertently incorporated upon authority of report contained in Senate Misc. Doc. No. 9, 45th Congress, 3d Session, which recommended the “Coast and Geodetic Survey” be changed to “United States Coast and Interior Survey” and an organization be created in the Interior Department to be known as the “United States Geological Survey.” Congress adopted only the latter suggestion.
Coast and Geodetic Survey consolidated with National Weather Bureau in 1965 to form Environmental Science Services Administration by Reorg. Plan No. 2 of 1965, eff. July 13, 1965, 30 F.R. 8819,79 Stat. 1318. Environmental Science Services Administration abolished in 1970 and its personnel, property, records, etc., transferred to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration by Reorg. Plan No. 4 of 1970, eff. Oct. 3, 1970, 35 F.R. 15627,84 Stat. 2090. By order of Acting Associate Administrator of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 35 F.R. 19249,Dec. 19, 1970, Coast and Geodetic Survey redesignated National Ocean Survey. See notes set out under section 311 of Title 15, Commerce and Trade.
For provision deeming references to the Museum of History and Technology in laws and regulations to be references to the National Museum of American History, see section of 3 of Pub. L. 96–441, set out as a note under section 71 of this title.
Act June 28, 1955, ch. 201, 69 Stat. 189, authorized construction of a building for a Museum of History and Technology, which was redesignated the National Museum of American History, for the use of the Smithsonian Institution, at a cost not to exceed $36,000,000.
LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII.