Quick search by citation:

22 U.S. Code § 301 - Lease or rental arrangements of not less than ten years; approval by Secretary; delegation of authority; information to Congress

(a) Leases

Notwithstanding the provisions of this chapter or any other Act, no lease or other rental arrangement for a period of less than ten years, and requiring an annual payment in excess of $100,000 shall be entered into by the Secretary of State for the purpose of renting or leasing offices, buildings, grounds, or living quarters for the use of the Foreign Service abroad, unless such lease or other rental arrangement is approved by the Secretary. The Secretary may delegate his authority under this section only to the Deputy Under Secretary of State for Administration or to the Director of the Office of Foreign Buildings. The Secretary shall keep the Congress fully and currently informed with respect to leases or other rental arrangements approved under this section.

(b) Advance payments for long-term leases and lease purchase

The Secretary may, subject to the availability of appropriations, make advance payments for long-term leases and lease-purchase agreements, if the Secretary or his designee determines, in each case, that such payments are in the interest of the United States Government in carrying out the purposes of this chapter.

(May 7, 1926, ch. 250, § 10, as added Pub. L. 89–636, § 4, Oct. 10, 1966, 80 Stat. 882; amended Pub. L. 102–138, title I, § 115(a), (b), Oct. 28, 1991, 105 Stat. 655; Pub. L. 117–263, div. I, title XCVII, § 9709, Dec. 23, 2022, 136 Stat. 3919.)
Editorial Notes

2022—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 117–263 substituted ‘$100,000” for “$50,000”.

1991—Pub. L. 102–138 designated existing provisions as subsec. (a), inserted heading, substituted “$50,000” for “$25,000,”, and added subsec. (b).

Statutory Notes and Related Subsidiaries
Authority of Secretary of State

Except as otherwise provided, Secretary of State to have and exercise any authority vested by law in any official or office of Department of State and references to such officials or offices deemed to refer to Secretary of State or Department of State, as appropriate, see section 2651a of this title and section 161(d) of Pub. L. 103–236, set out as a note under section 2651a of this title.