25 U.S. Code § 1804. Eligible grant recipients

To be eligible for assistance under this subchapter, a tribally controlled college or university must be one which—
is governed by a board of directors or board of trustees a majority of which are Indians;
demonstrates adherence to stated goals, a philosophy, or a plan of operation which is directed to meet the needs of Indians;
if in operation for more than one year, has students a majority of whom are Indians; and
is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association determined by the Secretary of Education to be a reliable authority with regard to the quality of training offered; or
according to such an agency or association, is making reasonable progress toward accreditation.

2008—Par. (4). Pub. L. 110–315 added par. (4).

1998—Pub. L. 105–244 substituted “college or university” for “community college” in introductory provisions.

Effective Date of 1998 Amendment

Amendment by Pub. L. 105–244 effective Oct. 1, 1998, except as otherwise provided in Pub. L. 105–244, see section 3 of Pub. L. 105–244, set out as a note under section 1001 of Title 20, Education.