25 U.S. Code § 4192 - Security and repayment
prev | next
(a) Requirements on issuer
To assure the repayment of notes or other obligations and charges incurred under this subchapter and as a condition for receiving such guarantees, the Secretary shall require the Indian tribe or housing entity issuing such notes or obligations to—
(1) enter into a contract, in a form acceptable to the Secretary, for repayment of notes or other obligations guaranteed under this subchapter;
(3) demonstrate that the extent of such issuance and guarantee under this subchapter is within the financial capacity of the tribe and is not likely to impair the ability to use grant amounts under subchapter I of this chapter, taking into consideration the requirements under section 4133 (b) of this title; and
(4) furnish, at the discretion of the Secretary, such other security as may be deemed appropriate by the Secretary in making such guarantees, including increments in local tax receipts generated by the activities assisted under this chapter or disposition proceeds from the sale of land or rehabilitated property.
(b) Repayment from grant amounts
Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter—
(1) the Secretary may apply grants pledged pursuant to subsection (a)(2) of this section to any repayments due the United States as a result of such guarantees; and
(2) grants allocated under this chapter for an Indian tribe or housing entity (including program income derived therefrom) may be used to pay principal and interest due (including such servicing, underwriting, and other costs as may be specified in regulations issued by the Secretary) on notes or other obligations guaranteed pursuant to this subchapter.
(c) Full faith and credit
The full faith and credit of the United States is pledged to the payment of all guarantees made under this subchapter. Any such guarantee made by the Secretary shall be conclusive evidence of the eligibility of the obligations for such guarantee with respect to principal and interest, and the validity of any such guarantee so made shall be incontestable in the hands of a holder of the guaranteed obligations.
Source(Pub. L. 104–330, title VI, § 602,Oct. 26, 1996, 110 Stat. 4046.)
References in Text
This chapter, referred to in subsecs. (a) and (b), was in the original “this Act”, meaning Pub. L. 104–330, Oct. 26, 1996, 110 Stat. 4016, known as the Native American Housing Assistance and Self-Determination Act of 1996. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 4101 of this title and Tables.