Quick search by citation:

26 U.S. Code § 82 - Reimbursement of moving expenses

Except as provided in section 132(a)(6), there shall be included in gross income (as compensation for services) any amount received or accrued, directly or indirectly, by an individual as a payment for or reimbursement of expenses of moving from one residence to another residence which is attributable to employment or self-employment.

Editorial Notes

2018—Pub. L. 115–141 substituted “of moving expenses” for “for expenses of moving” in section catchline.

1993—Pub. L. 103–66 substituted “Except as provided in section 132(a)(6), there shall” for “There shall”.

Statutory Notes and Related Subsidiaries
Effective Date of 1993 Amendment

Amendment by Pub. L. 103–66 applicable to reimbursements or other payments in respect of expenses incurred after Dec. 31, 1993, see section 13213(e) of Pub. L. 103–66, set out as a note under section 62 of this title.

Effective Date

Section applicable to taxable years beginning after December 31, 1969, except that it does not apply to moving expenses paid or incurred before July 1, 1970, in connection with the commencement of work by the taxpayer as an employee at a new principal place of work of which the taxpayer had been notified by his employer on or before December 19, 1969, see section 231(d) of Pub. L. 91–172, set out as an Effective Date of 1969 Amendment note under section 217 of this title.

Moving Expenses of Members of the Uniformed Services

Withholding, reporting, inclusion within adjusted gross income, and deduction for reimbursement for moving expenses of members of the uniformed services, see section 2 of Pub. L. 93–490, Oct. 26, 1974, 88 Stat. 1466, set out as a note under section 217 of this title.