28 U.S. Code § 1399 - Partition action involving United States

Any civil action by any tenant in common or joint tenant for the partition of lands, where the United States is one of the tenants in common or joint tenants, may be brought only in the judicial district where such lands are located or, if located in different districts in the same State, in any of such districts.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 646, 62 Stat. 936.)
Historical and Revision Notes

Based on title 28, U.S.C., 1940 ed., § 41(25) (Mar. 3, 1911, ch. 231, § 24, par. 25, 36 Stat. 1094).

Provisions of section 41(25) of title 28, U.S.C., 1940 ed., relating to jurisdiction are the basis of section 1347 of this title.

Words “civil action” were substituted for “suits in equity,” in view of Rule 2 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.

Provision with respect to property in different districts was added to conform with section 1392 of this title.

Changes were made in phraseology.

The following state regulations pages link to this page.